Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cameron De'Aldiers - Special Ability: Alchohol/Potion Resistance

Go down 
+4
BooM
Munroe
thorogoodd
Dominator046
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Dominator046
Senior Wizard
Dominator046

Cameron De'Aldiers - Special Ability: Alchohol/Potion Resistance Empty
PostSubject: Cameron De'Aldiers - Special Ability: Alchohol/Potion Resistance   Cameron De'Aldiers - Special Ability: Alchohol/Potion Resistance EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 8:12 am

My character, Cameron De'Aldiers, while partaking of manners and civility, was indeed young once. Cameron had a penchant for the drink, and had himself quite a few good binges. He has developed a bit of tolerance for alcohol, and is as well, a natural heavyweight. As such, he's able to not only withstand the effects of alcohol, he's able to withstand the effects of various potions and poisons as well.

This means, he might require more than one dose of a potion for it to take effect; for healing remedies and liquors, this is bad, but for poisons or disease-attacks, this is good.

Just as well, specific to alcohol, Cameron's younger days are not without cost. A night of heavy binge drinking will result in his unavoidable displeasure and pain for at least the day after. Cameron De'Aldiers, in a more advanced time, would perhaps be the image of someone bordering liver disease.
Back to top Go down
thorogoodd
Monthly Bather
thorogoodd

PostSubject: Re: Cameron De'Aldiers - Special Ability: Alchohol/Potion Resistance   Cameron De'Aldiers - Special Ability: Alchohol/Potion Resistance EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 8:42 am

I'm not entirely sure. But in Aeria, Alchemy is magic. So it wouldn't be processed through the liver, like alcohol.

Which would lead to your idea of resisting alchemical concoctions through alcohol consumption impossible.
Back to top Go down
Dominator046
Senior Wizard
Dominator046

PostSubject: Re: Cameron De'Aldiers - Special Ability: Alchohol/Potion Resistance   Cameron De'Aldiers - Special Ability: Alchohol/Potion Resistance EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 8:54 am

thorogoodd wrote:
I'm not entirely sure. But in Aeria, Alchemy is magic. So it wouldn't be processed through the liver, like alcohol.

Which would lead to your idea of resisting alchemical concoctions through alcohol consumption impossible.

You are quite right, my good sir. It would seem that potion resistance is out the window. That I can understand.

But what about conventional, realistic poisons?
Back to top Go down
thorogoodd
Monthly Bather
thorogoodd

PostSubject: Re: Cameron De'Aldiers - Special Ability: Alchohol/Potion Resistance   Cameron De'Aldiers - Special Ability: Alchohol/Potion Resistance EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 9:24 am

Again, it depends on the poison. If the poison is applied to the skin rather than ingested, then no it's not going to help at all. If it's ingested, then maybe. If gets into the bloodstream though, there's really nothing your liver can do.

If it's a magical type of alchemical poison, doubtful it will help.
Back to top Go down
Dominator046
Senior Wizard
Dominator046

PostSubject: Re: Cameron De'Aldiers - Special Ability: Alchohol/Potion Resistance   Cameron De'Aldiers - Special Ability: Alchohol/Potion Resistance EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 9:36 am

thorogoodd wrote:
Again, it depends on the poison. If the poison is applied to the skin rather than ingested, then no it's not going to help at all. If it's ingested, then maybe. If gets into the bloodstream though, there's really nothing your liver can do.

If it's a magical type of alchemical poison, doubtful it will help.

Alrighty then, I'll go through some editing the text above, but the idea of him being able to Resistic Non-magical Ingested Poisons/Drugs would be the point I'm working towards now. = P
Back to top Go down
Munroe
Tryhard
Munroe

PostSubject: Re: Cameron De'Aldiers - Special Ability: Alchohol/Potion Resistance   Cameron De'Aldiers - Special Ability: Alchohol/Potion Resistance EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 9:51 am

Thoro raises a good point, but the Sacred Field can build up a tolerance to potions the same way the body can grow to resist chemicals. If you drink excessive amounts of a particular potion over a long period of time, you could develop a resistance to it. And unlike the liver, the Sacred Field would give you that resistance even if the potion is injected straight into the blood.

I should write this down somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Dominator046
Senior Wizard
Dominator046

PostSubject: Re: Cameron De'Aldiers - Special Ability: Alchohol/Potion Resistance   Cameron De'Aldiers - Special Ability: Alchohol/Potion Resistance EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 10:20 am

Munroe wrote:
Thoro raises a good point, but the Sacred Field can build up a tolerance to potions the same way the body can grow to resist chemicals. If you drink excessive amounts of a particular potion over a long period of time, you could develop a resistance to it. And unlike the liver, the Sacred Field would give you that resistance even if the potion is injected straight into the blood.

I should write this down somewhere.

I agree to this. = ) Always good to have excessive lore.

BooM mentioned that Marcus Olm sold Pleasure Potions. If these exist, I'm sure Cameron has a resistance to those.
Back to top Go down
BooM
Archmage
BooM

PostSubject: Re: Cameron De'Aldiers - Special Ability: Alchohol/Potion Resistance   Cameron De'Aldiers - Special Ability: Alchohol/Potion Resistance EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 10:22 am

Marcus "Motherfucking" Olm is not a drug dealer and if he knew of such a place to buy such drugs in a three story building in Surna, he would not be able to discuss details on the subject at hand.

My lawyer told me to say this.
Back to top Go down
Pat
Administrator
Pat

PostSubject: Re: Cameron De'Aldiers - Special Ability: Alchohol/Potion Resistance   Cameron De'Aldiers - Special Ability: Alchohol/Potion Resistance EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 6:07 pm

Wait a minute. While Alchemy might be a form of magic, in Olden, alcohol and such would technically be "alchemy". Alchemy in Olden is akin to Chemistry, including Organic Chemistry, and the liver would use alchemic reactions to do the same thing. So wouldn't this be feasible? Potions would be filtered through the liver, wouldn't they?
Back to top Go down
Judge Gambit
"I am the Law"
Judge Gambit

PostSubject: Re: Cameron De'Aldiers - Special Ability: Alchohol/Potion Resistance   Cameron De'Aldiers - Special Ability: Alchohol/Potion Resistance EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 6:38 pm

Magic liver... He must be a Scot, or a Razel.
Back to top Go down
https://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm161/v4v_bucket2/1232513055
Munroe
Tryhard
Munroe

PostSubject: Re: Cameron De'Aldiers - Special Ability: Alchohol/Potion Resistance   Cameron De'Aldiers - Special Ability: Alchohol/Potion Resistance EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 6:57 pm

Pat wrote:
Wait a minute. While Alchemy might be a form of magic, in Olden, alcohol and such would technically be "alchemy". Alchemy in Olden is akin to Chemistry, including Organic Chemistry, and the liver would use alchemic reactions to do the same thing. So wouldn't this be feasible? Potions would be filtered through the liver, wouldn't they?

When it comes to potions (primarily based in magic), the only line of defense against them is the Sacred Field. Chemical substances (no magical properties) are filtered by the liver.
Back to top Go down
Kain
Vengaboy
Kain

PostSubject: Re: Cameron De'Aldiers - Special Ability: Alchohol/Potion Resistance   Cameron De'Aldiers - Special Ability: Alchohol/Potion Resistance EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 7:21 pm

What Munroe says is right, and is also supported in Sacred Field lore. I can quote the same section I used for Aedelric Adahn's application. For people who are magically inept, the Sacred Field tends to emphasize their other aspects, but only if they condition it to do so.

BooM wrote:
Marcus "Motherfucking" Olm is not a drug dealer and if he knew of such a place to buy such drugs in a three story building in Surna, he would not be able to discuss details on the subject at hand.

My lawyer told me to say this.

Right. Excuse me, my good man, but we seem to have a mix-up

that title is for one man

and one man only.

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Cameron De'Aldiers - Special Ability: Alchohol/Potion Resistance   Cameron De'Aldiers - Special Ability: Alchohol/Potion Resistance EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 12:42 am

Kain wrote:
Right. Excuse me, my good man, but we seem to have a mix-up

that title is for one man

and one man only.

"Marcus "Motherfucking" Olm" Copyright © 2012 BooM. All rights reserved.

THE NICKNAME (AS DEFINED ABOVE) IS PROVIDED UNDER THE TERMS OF THIS CREATIVE COMMONS PUBLIC LICENSE ("CCPL" OR "LICENSE"). THE WORK IS PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT AND/OR OTHER APPLICABLE LAW. ANY USE OF THE WORK OTHER THAN AS AUTHORIZED UNDER THIS LICENSE OR COPYRIGHT LAW IS PROHIBITED.

BY EXERCISING ANY RIGHTS TO THE WORK PROVIDED HERE, YOU ACCEPT AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS LICENSE. THE LICENSOR GRANTS YOU THE RIGHTS CONTAINED HERE IN CONSIDERATION OF YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF SUCH TERMS AND CONDITIONS AND ALSO ACCEPTS THAT HE NOTES: ALSO FAT AND A FAILURE.
Back to top Go down
PhoenixRhapsody
Vengaboy
PhoenixRhapsody

PostSubject: Re: Cameron De'Aldiers - Special Ability: Alchohol/Potion Resistance   Cameron De'Aldiers - Special Ability: Alchohol/Potion Resistance EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 5:03 am

Although I am not sure about why he would have poisoned himself to the point of immunity, I guess he could have a drinker's liver.

I am not really sure.
Back to top Go down
Dominator046
Senior Wizard
Dominator046

PostSubject: Re: Cameron De'Aldiers - Special Ability: Alchohol/Potion Resistance   Cameron De'Aldiers - Special Ability: Alchohol/Potion Resistance EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 5:56 am

Truth be told I'm really appreciating all the feedback on both sides, really, It's a pleasant sense of both community and serious review. = )

Now, Pho, you raise a good point, why would he poison himself to that extent? Well, why do we vaccinate ourselves? I'm not saying that Cameron is a witcher who has passed his Trial of the Grasses with flying colors, but I'm conveying a point that business is sometimes in itself a dirty business. I'm sure on several occasions, especially since Cameron LOVES his shady deals that pose great benefit, but also, grave risk, that Cameron's pissed some people off; I am proposing that in a combination of both his drinking, and perhaps several close encounters involving a cup of drink and a swift rush to a medic or priest, he's become able to withstand the effects of alcohol and poison fairly well.

Also, if you want to get specific, our bodies tolerate alcohol like a poison (or so I was lead to believe through three years of chemistry and biology courses), the base alcohol is considered a poison by our bodies, and in addition to the myriad of things within the compounds and other chemicals within our happy-time-drinky-drinks,

I am not a master chemist, nor a master biologist, and I would love to be corrected if I'm wrong, but I'm not entirely sure that there is error in the assumption that a resistance to a notable poison (alcohol, as our bodies sees it) and poisons that attack in the very same way (another poison, that is much more poison-y) could correlate and share a resistance.
Back to top Go down
Kain
Vengaboy
Kain

PostSubject: Re: Cameron De'Aldiers - Special Ability: Alchohol/Potion Resistance   Cameron De'Aldiers - Special Ability: Alchohol/Potion Resistance EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 6:41 am

Well, the liver is one thing, but when it comes to alcohol, size and weight play a factor, too. They determine how the alcohol is distributed; obviously, a larger person will have more blood in total, and thus, mixing a given amount of alcohol into his bloodstream would not be as effective as it would be for a smaller man. But, yes, the liver itself also plays a role.

So, Cameron is applying for a strong liver and some natural resistance to the alchemic effects of poisons, and he justifies this by having drank a lot and also having had many attempted assassinations on him, via poisoning, or whatnot.

Honestly, Cameron is an awful person; I could see people trying to poison him day in and day out. The next question is how he survived all those attempts, but who knows, maybe he managed to treat himself in time.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Dominator046
Senior Wizard
Dominator046

PostSubject: Re: Cameron De'Aldiers - Special Ability: Alchohol/Potion Resistance   Cameron De'Aldiers - Special Ability: Alchohol/Potion Resistance EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 7:39 am

Kain wrote:
Honestly, Cameron is an awful person; I could see people trying to poison him day in and day out. The next question is how he survived all those attempts, but who knows, maybe he managed to treat himself in time.

You've hit the nail on the head. = ) I guess poison resistance might be too much to ask, and I understand this; there are indeed many factors, and I guess Cameron's predisposition to a harmful substance, and his possible near-death encounters with poison before might not stipulate much in terms of a slight poison resistance. I can understand this. = )

But alcohol resistance still seems fair and quite readily on the table.
Back to top Go down
Dominator046
Senior Wizard
Dominator046

PostSubject: Re: Cameron De'Aldiers - Special Ability: Alchohol/Potion Resistance   Cameron De'Aldiers - Special Ability: Alchohol/Potion Resistance EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 3:12 pm

Bitch, whoever wrote this app, yo shit is fuckin' garbage.

...oh wait.

Last edited by Dominator046 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : A typo took away from the lols, had to fix)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cameron De'Aldiers - Special Ability: Alchohol/Potion Resistance   Cameron De'Aldiers - Special Ability: Alchohol/Potion Resistance Empty

Back to top Go down

Cameron De'Aldiers - Special Ability: Alchohol/Potion Resistance
Page 1 of 1