Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Aedelric Adahn - Special Ability: Fire Resistance

Go down 
+3
BooM
Munroe
Dominator046
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Dominator046
Senior Wizard
Dominator046

Aedelric Adahn - Special Ability: Fire Resistance Empty
PostSubject: Aedelric Adahn - Special Ability: Fire Resistance   Aedelric Adahn - Special Ability: Fire Resistance EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 8:06 am

My character, Aedelric Adahn, has worked as a blacksmith and forgemaster for almost two decades from apprenticeship through his full-fledged smithing; more so than countless hours standing in front of billowing flames from both the smelter and the forge, is the fact that he's a seasoned traveller, the sun has bathed him many times, and though his complexion wouldn't immediately shown it, he's used to its beatings.

What I am suggesting is NOT a magical resistance that is a part of his title, more a less, an ironic and conditioned nature to avoid the pain and lighter injury that flames could have upon him. Would he be able to sustain full fledged fire magic like a tank: NO. Would he be able to take scathing wounds, and high temperatures in and out of combat without as much flinching or pain: Yes.
Back to top Go down
Munroe
Tryhard
Munroe

PostSubject: Re: Aedelric Adahn - Special Ability: Fire Resistance   Aedelric Adahn - Special Ability: Fire Resistance EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 9:55 am

So he's not lolimmune to fire, just really tough and used to the heat. Sounds okay to me.
Back to top Go down
BooM
Archmage
BooM

PostSubject: Re: Aedelric Adahn - Special Ability: Fire Resistance   Aedelric Adahn - Special Ability: Fire Resistance EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 10:02 am

Dominator046 wrote:
What I am suggesting is NOT a magical resistance that is a part of his title, more a less, an ironic and conditioned nature to avoid the pain and lighter injury that flames could have upon him. Would he be able to sustain full fledged fire magic like a tank: NO. Would he be able to take scathing wounds, and high temperatures in and out of combat without as much flinching or pain: Yes.

how hot are these "high temperatures" that he can shrug off without pain?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Aedelric Adahn - Special Ability: Fire Resistance   Aedelric Adahn - Special Ability: Fire Resistance EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 10:11 am

I'm pretty sure having the sun shine on you for 20 years doesn't do anything to help your skin become heat resistant. It doesn't work like that. I'd notice.

However, I've never been a blacksmith for two decades so I can't vouch personal experience on this part. I'm also concerned with what BooM has asked. Will he able to touch burning hot pots and such other things? I'm also pretty sure no manner of years can prepare your skin for this.
Back to top Go down
Munroe
Tryhard
Munroe

PostSubject: Re: Aedelric Adahn - Special Ability: Fire Resistance   Aedelric Adahn - Special Ability: Fire Resistance EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 10:24 am

BooM wrote:
Dominator046 wrote:

how hot are these "high temperatures" that he can shrug off without pain?

Look carefully at the wording. He says he can take high temperatures without as much flinching or pain. That implies he might still feel pain and even react to it, if the burn is bad enough.

And whether it's realistic or not, at least he's actually asking for this. Most people just do it anyway.
Back to top Go down
Dominator046
Senior Wizard
Dominator046

PostSubject: Re: Aedelric Adahn - Special Ability: Fire Resistance   Aedelric Adahn - Special Ability: Fire Resistance EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 10:31 am

Jacque wrote:
I'm pretty sure having the sun shine on you for 20 years doesn't do anything to help your skin become heat resistant. It doesn't work like that. I'd notice.

However, I've never been a blacksmith for two decades so I can't vouch personal experience on this part. I'm also concerned with what BooM has asked. Will he able to touch burning hot pots and such other things? I'm also pretty sure no manner of years can prepare your skin for this.

Of course, you both raise good points. I think Munroe grasped what I was trying to explain through his tolerance of burning pain, but I will admit I sort of left a gap there where I shouldn't have.

Now, I haven't been a master blacksmith for twenty years myself, but judging from what I've seen through similar practices, and it does help build a physical tolerance to higher level temperatures, at least in the pain department. I can't assess an accurate temperature, but it wouldn't be extreme. He would not be able to touch burning hot pots without pain, and of course physical damage would still be present.

I'm saying that he would be less influenced by the use of flames in combat. Of course, if he's struck with a fireball... well then, I don't think if he lived ten lifetimes, he'd be any more ready for that. But, lashing flames skimming and skirting around his evasions would fatigue and draw less pain from him; though, he would still suffer the same amount of physical damage, or roughly the same, I'm sure.

No burning pots or hot coal juggling would be allowed. = P
Back to top Go down
BooM
Archmage
BooM

PostSubject: Re: Aedelric Adahn - Special Ability: Fire Resistance   Aedelric Adahn - Special Ability: Fire Resistance EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 10:38 am

Ok, that clears some of the points. Still, I would like to assume black smiths wear protective gear like you see in the movies or in interactive museums so they wouldn't face these burns in the first place. I also applaud your application when most people just taking it and already shrugging off fire that skims them. I agree to this as long as you mean he isn't covered in natural flames and easy goes "Whatever". The occasional flame that may shoot up and cover his arm and he shrugs it off is what I am ok with.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Aedelric Adahn - Special Ability: Fire Resistance   Aedelric Adahn - Special Ability: Fire Resistance EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 10:41 am

He'd be used to working in amazingly hot environments and I'm sure he'd be toughened from the occasional burn or hot ember.

Why not, I mean? Also yay for applications. Not seen one of these in a while. :3
Back to top Go down
Kain
Vengaboy
Kain

PostSubject: Re: Aedelric Adahn - Special Ability: Fire Resistance   Aedelric Adahn - Special Ability: Fire Resistance EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 10:47 am

Once, back when I was washing the dishes (our house didn't have a dishwasher), my mom came around and tried to reach into the sink. Soon as she touched the water, she flinched, gave me this amazed look, and said she wasn't used to doing the dishes with such water. But for me, I barely noticed. The water was at 120 degrees, mom was only used to 100 to 110 or so. We had an electric water heater to, uh, control the temperature by degrees, yep. Fahrenheit, btw; I don't want anyone thinking my family is made of superhuman things.

My point is, yes, it is possible to condition the body to withstand higher temperatures. My example is pretty normal, but there are more extreme cases. Does it give you any actual fire resistance? No, but, it stops you from being reduced to uselessness when you can't endure the heat. So, yes, if Aedelric has often scorched himself by accident, worked in front of a live forge, so on, so forth, for many years, he would probably be able to endure it much better than anyone else. This is a situation of mind over matter.

Also keep in mind that in Aeria, mind over matter sometimes provides physical benefits as well, as written in The Mechanics of the Physical and Mystical Body, And Development?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Aedelric Adahn - Special Ability: Fire Resistance   Aedelric Adahn - Special Ability: Fire Resistance EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 12:42 am

After thinking about it, I think yeah-- I'm gonna throw in my accept. You seem like a great guy. And because this is Aeria, that means an accept.
Back to top Go down
Beans
Scrub
Beans

PostSubject: Re: Aedelric Adahn - Special Ability: Fire Resistance   Aedelric Adahn - Special Ability: Fire Resistance EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 3:43 am

This makes sense, considering that I know people who take nothing but really hot ass showers that make me cry. So I throw my accept at you.
Back to top Go down
PhoenixRhapsody
Vengaboy
PhoenixRhapsody

PostSubject: Re: Aedelric Adahn - Special Ability: Fire Resistance   Aedelric Adahn - Special Ability: Fire Resistance EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 5:01 am

I give this a +1
Back to top Go down
Overseer
Scrub
Overseer

PostSubject: Re: Aedelric Adahn - Special Ability: Fire Resistance   Aedelric Adahn - Special Ability: Fire Resistance EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 6:10 am

Moving to Accepted Applications
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aedelric Adahn - Special Ability: Fire Resistance   Aedelric Adahn - Special Ability: Fire Resistance Empty

Back to top Go down

Aedelric Adahn - Special Ability: Fire Resistance
Page 1 of 1