Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

To Retcon the Terror Plot?

Go down 
+4
Spadge
thorogoodd
Markka
Pat
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Pat
Administrator
Pat

To Retcon the Terror Plot? Empty
PostSubject: To Retcon the Terror Plot?   To Retcon the Terror Plot? EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 7:22 pm

So, after the failure of today's event, and a general lack of excitement, mixed with a feeling of unease about the event and the way the plot was run, the Administration in general has considered retconning the entire plot.

Blue: 11:29 PM - Blue: And this Argon event just doesn't feel right
11:29 PM - Blue: Aside from being bland and generic
11:30 PM - Blue: Liches razing towns, that sort of thing isn't supposed to happen in this new setting
11:30 PM - Blue: Magic's rarer, evil is older and wiser, less open about it
11:32 PM - Blue: We had a good thing going on with the goblins
11:32 PM - Blue: It wasn't this big over-the-top deal
11:32 PM - Blue: It was just men and women divided over a controversial issue
11:32 PM - Blue: It was interesting

What do you think? Should we retcon it away, and focus on the progression of our other plots, or provide a conclusion?
Back to top Go down
Markka
Dedicated Poster
Markka

PostSubject: Re: To Retcon the Terror Plot?   To Retcon the Terror Plot? EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 12:23 am

I thought the Argon thing with a Lich/very powerful demonthing going ahead and screwing up the entire town felt a bit... eh. Something that just sort of came out of the blue all deus ex machina.
Back to top Go down
thorogoodd
Monthly Bather
thorogoodd

PostSubject: Re: To Retcon the Terror Plot?   To Retcon the Terror Plot? EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 4:13 am

Yeah I agree. It was too sudden and too out of place.
Back to top Go down
Spadge
Vengaboy
Spadge

PostSubject: Re: To Retcon the Terror Plot?   To Retcon the Terror Plot? EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 4:15 am

Retcon.
Back to top Go down
Psyche
Keeper of the Thunderboner, Protector of the Hatefuck Chalice
Psyche

PostSubject: Re: To Retcon the Terror Plot?   To Retcon the Terror Plot? EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 4:57 am

I'm confused as to why anyone wanted to go through with it in the first place.
Back to top Go down
Cakebread
Vengaboy
Cakebread

PostSubject: Re: To Retcon the Terror Plot?   To Retcon the Terror Plot? EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 5:07 am

I found the Argon plot all fine

I mean its a supra lich slaughtering towns and getting stronger
Thats not really common, i mean lichs in caves makeing some trouble yes but
Ye don't have one making a lot of trouble.

If we Retcon this, we're gonna be like Matt Ward and the story devs of 40k
Retcon this, retcon that out, no squats anymore, oh wait nerf all of you guys

buff buff you guys,

We'll be sucked into a habit of retconning big things in and out, a constant flux.
Back to top Go down
Psyche
Psyche

PostSubject: Re: To Retcon the Terror Plot?   To Retcon the Terror Plot? EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 5:10 am

So if we retcon one bad story arc we'll end up retconning other bad plots, too?

Seems fine to me.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: To Retcon the Terror Plot?   To Retcon the Terror Plot? EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 5:14 am

Quote :
We'll be sucked into a habit of retconning big things in and out, a constant flux.

What are you basing this on?

This isn't a post saying "fuck plots plots are dumb."
It's more of an "Alright we threw this together rather hastily and people don't seem too interested in it, so who's for retconning it and instead working on something that's better and catches people's attention?"

and are you seriously comparing pat and the others who work on olden's plots to matt ward? what the fuck man.
Back to top Go down
Jackxter
Giant Scrub
Jackxter

PostSubject: Re: To Retcon the Terror Plot?   To Retcon the Terror Plot? EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 5:15 am

Psyche wrote:
So if we retcon one bad story arc we'll end up retconning other bad plots, too?

Seems fine to me.

Maybe because it actually gave people something to do other then these supposedly intricate and 'interesting' stories you come up with? (That usually just seem to interest you and a group of friends roleplaying the main characters involved in them, I may add.) Something that people could talk and worry about.

Last edited by Jackxter on Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:20 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: To Retcon the Terror Plot?   To Retcon the Terror Plot? EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 5:17 am

Quote :
Maybe because it actually gave people something to do other then these supposedly intricate and 'interesting' stories you come up with? (That usually just focus around you, I may add.)

what are you on about
Back to top Go down
Psyche
Psyche

PostSubject: Re: To Retcon the Terror Plot?   To Retcon the Terror Plot? EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 5:21 am

Jackxter wrote:

Maybe because it actually gave people something to do other then these supposedly intricate and 'interesting' stories you come up with? (That usually just focus around you, I may add.)

You mean that single plot about a fight ring that hasn't even started yet?

I'm not sure if you're just biased or intentionally being assholish.
Back to top Go down
Jackxter
Giant Scrub
Jackxter

PostSubject: Re: To Retcon the Terror Plot?   To Retcon the Terror Plot? EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 5:50 am

Psyche wrote:
Jackxter wrote:

You mean that single plot about a fight ring that hasn't even started yet?

I'm not sure if you're just biased or intentionally being assholish.

Oh, I'm being an asshole? Jesus, sometimes I don't think you have a remote bit of self-awareness. I haven't seen you or your friends who criticized my event come up with anything more interesting, involving or at the very least, fun, and yet you come in on your high horse and talk down to me? The only plots I've ever see you pull was with the Vampress which eventually culminated to your character going off alone to enter a tower completely outside the realm of roleplay and another with Taric trying to find people who knew about the runes in the area. Yeah, great plots, totally can see people getting involved in them.

My main point is that most so called 'interesting' roleplays in Olden take place in secret where few can easily get involved with them. It's mainly a group of friends having a circle-jerk. At least me and Pat tried to create something that people could easily hop right into, and yet all we got was criticism that didn't make any sense. Yeah, the whole thing was abrupt but that was because it was supposed to be, a Demon escaped from his cage and started wrecking shit up.

Having some long plot which involved freeing the Demon or whatever would have been too complex and hard to pull off and get people involved with. Not to mention it would have wrecked the mystery element of the first roleplay we did involving the Lich. And who's to say magic still can't be used in this world? Did god start saying 'hey, your magic won't work well anymore'. The demon was trapped in his cave for thousands of years and didn't give a fuck what was going on in the world around him. Speaking of which, you can't just force everyone to be like 'FUCK MAGIC' if it doesn't feel natural at all. It has to make sense. This is the reason I gave up on Olden and cancelled the server. It's just not very engaging and it's way too full of people who seem to think their top shit yet can't do jack shit to help it along.

Last edited by Jackxter on Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:11 am; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: To Retcon the Terror Plot?   To Retcon the Terror Plot? EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 5:55 am

Spadge wrote:
Retcon.

Psyche wrote:

Though not a no to plots altogether, of course.

Perhaps offer a solution that doesn't involve players or events, like just say it was solved somehow. That way we can mention it ICly. To thicken the world around us makes the fact Olden's lore is so rich that little much better.
Back to top Go down
Psyche
Psyche

PostSubject: Re: To Retcon the Terror Plot?   To Retcon the Terror Plot? EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 6:10 am

Jackxter wrote:
The only plot I've ever see you pull was with the Vampress which eventually culminated to your character, going off alone to enter a tower completely outside the realm of roleplay. This is the reason I gave up on Olden and cancelled the server.

That wasn't a plot I made, that was my character doing his part with what he was given. It's ironic you "left" because of this, because the only reason I even bothered to go through with it was so that I had some closure with the character before I stopped going on the server, what with your harassment making everything a chore.

Quote :
Oh, I'm being an asshole? Jesus, sometimes I don't think you have a remote bit of self-awareness.

You jump from being a douchebag to not so often it's hard to tell when you're being serious. Hell, I don't even know why I'm responding, it's not like you're ever going to stop trying to convince yourself that I'm some jerkward, in-between your attempts to apologize to me for being a jerkwad yourself.

Quote :
I haven't seen you or your friends who criticized my event come up with anything more interesting or at the very least, fun,

I roleplay my characters. Character-driven plot emerges, because I am neither obligated to make some big event nor required to do so to make roleplay fun, but you wouldn't know that because you refuse to be near me. You're making a straw-man argument here.

Quote :
and yet you come in on your high horse and talk down to me?

There you go trying to convince yourself that I'm some sort of egomaniac. People didn't like your plot. They found it contrived. Everybody at some point in time has ran an event that the players didn't enjoy. Get over it.

Quote :
My main point is that most so called 'interesting' roleplays in Olden take place in secret where few can easily get involved with them. It's mainly a group of friends having a circle-jerk.

This is another strawman argument. You don't like what you don't understand, so it must be a circlejerk.

TL;DR Version = Leave me alone.
Back to top Go down
Jackxter
Giant Scrub
Jackxter

PostSubject: Re: To Retcon the Terror Plot?   To Retcon the Terror Plot? EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 6:18 am

Psyche wrote:
Jackxter wrote:
The only plot I've ever see you pull was with the Vampress which eventually culminated to your character, going off alone to enter a tower completely outside the realm of roleplay. This is the reason I gave up on Olden and cancelled the server.

That wasn't a plot I made, that was my character doing his part with what he was given. It's ironic you "left" because of this, because the only reason I even bothered to go through with it was so that I had some closure with the character before I stopped going on the server, what with your harassment making everything a chore.

Quote :
Oh, I'm being an asshole? Jesus, sometimes I don't think you have a remote bit of self-awareness.

You jump from being a douchebag to not so often it's hard to tell when you're being serious. Hell, I don't even know why I'm responding, it's not like you're ever going to stop trying to convince yourself that I'm some jerkward, in-between your attempts to apologize to me for being a jerkwad yourself.

Quote :
I haven't seen you or your friends who criticized my event come up with anything more interesting or at the very least, fun,

I roleplay my characters. Character-driven plot emerges, because I am neither obligated to make some big event nor required to do so to make roleplay fun, but you wouldn't know that because you refuse to be near me. You're making a straw-man argument here.

Quote :
and yet you come in on your high horse and talk down to me?

There you go trying to convince yourself that I'm some sort of egomaniac. People didn't like your plot. They found it contrived. Everybody at some point in time has ran an event that the players didn't enjoy. Get over it.

Quote :
My main point is that most so called 'interesting' roleplays in Olden take place in secret where few can easily get involved with them. It's mainly a group of friends having a circle-jerk.

This is another strawman argument. You don't like what you don't understand, so it must be a circlejerk.

Quote :

You baffle me like no other. That doesn't sound like an asshole thing to say at all? Your criticism may be right some of the time, but the way you go about giving it is in a rude manner. While your intention may not be to hurt, yet you still manage to do so. What you said above is not only insulting to the person who created the event (that being me) but is insulting to those who took part in it. And yes, I do think you're an elitist prick and very egotistical. But of course I'm just brainwashing myself into thinking it couldn't ever be possible it's actually true, right? And by the way, you started this one by insulting me.

By the way, ever consider the people who didn't like the event may be the most outspoken among the community? Many who participated in them found them enjoyable, yet many others who were too busy screaming bout the lore didn't even give them a shot.

But yeah, I'll be leaving you alone to your circlejerk from now on.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: To Retcon the Terror Plot?   To Retcon the Terror Plot? EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 6:23 am

This whole thread can be as simple as a yes or no question.

Yes to retcon.
Or no to to retcon.

Christ.
Back to top Go down
Spadge
Vengaboy
Spadge

PostSubject: Re: To Retcon the Terror Plot?   To Retcon the Terror Plot? EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 6:27 am

Mack wrote:

Yes to retcon.
Or no to to retcon.

Christ.

But Mack, this isn't a thread about retcon, it's a thread about all the sinister evils of Olden and it's vile dictators.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: To Retcon the Terror Plot?   To Retcon the Terror Plot? EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 6:29 am

Spadge wrote:
Mack wrote:

Yes to retcon.
Or no to to retcon.

Christ.

But Mack, this isn't a thread about retcon, it's a thread about all the sinister evils of Olden and it's vile dictators.

fuck i took a wrong turn at the media board again son of a bitch
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: To Retcon the Terror Plot?   To Retcon the Terror Plot? EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 6:30 am

Jackxter wrote:

You throw that word around like confetti at a wedding, jeez.

I've never seen an event or RP I couldn't get into by just asking or walking in ICly. Hardly a circlejerk :V
Back to top Go down
Cakebread
Vengaboy
Cakebread

PostSubject: Re: To Retcon the Terror Plot?   To Retcon the Terror Plot? EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 6:39 am

Krug wrote:
Jackxter wrote:

You throw that word around like confetti at a wedding, jeez.

I've never seen an event or RP I couldn't get into by just asking or walking in ICly. Hardly a circlejerk :V

read that as confetti jizz at a wedding

gob dongit fronk
Back to top Go down
Munroe
Tryhard
Munroe

PostSubject: Re: To Retcon the Terror Plot?   To Retcon the Terror Plot? EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 6:44 am

I don't think anyone's been circlejerking. People RP with each other's characters because that's what you're supposed to do on an RP server. Just because not all RP is 100% open to the public doesn't mean we're circlejerking. If you're bored and can't generate RP on your own, without admins and ranking members creating it for you, that isn't our fault.

I'd like to retcon the event, because I don't think it was executed properly. The whole thing was very sudden, involved places no one had any reason to care about and didn't even exist until the event started, and just didn't make a lot of sense to me.

The decision to retcon hasn't been made yet. If anyone supports the event, now's the time to speak up. There's no reason to be afraid to.
Back to top Go down
Spadge
Vengaboy
Spadge

PostSubject: Re: To Retcon the Terror Plot?   To Retcon the Terror Plot? EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 6:49 am

Back on subject, I support a retcon. The entire event essentially shut down all other story arcs that were in-progress at the time. While it may not have been the intention, the sudden world threatening demon/lich thing pretty much stole the show from everyone, and it seems like hardly anyone had any idea what was actually happening. I arguably have the character most invested in the whole arc, but I'm more than happy to have things retconned and do a work around, so long as normal RP can continue.
Back to top Go down
Cakebread
Vengaboy
Cakebread

PostSubject: Re: To Retcon the Terror Plot?   To Retcon the Terror Plot? EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 7:10 am

Spadge wrote:
Back on subject, I support a retcon. The entire event essentially shut down all other story arcs that were in-progress at the time. While it may not have been the intention, the sudden world threatening demon/lich thing pretty much stole the show from everyone, and it seems like hardly anyone had any idea what was actually happening. I arguably have the character most invested in the whole arc, but I'm more than happy to have things retconned and do a work around, so long as normal RP can continue.

Well I would suggest we either end the argon line of events like the terror attacking surna and get it over with or
we instead just retcon it and then bring it up later and execute it again with more planning and finese.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To Retcon the Terror Plot?   To Retcon the Terror Plot? Empty

Back to top Go down

To Retcon the Terror Plot?
Page 1 of 1