Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Alec Smith posts

Go down 
+4
Munroe
Rutabega
Pat
Kain
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Kain
Vengaboy
Kain

Alec Smith posts Empty
PostSubject: Alec Smith posts   Alec Smith posts EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 8:25 pm

Guess who's back.
Back to top Go down
Pat
Administrator
Pat

Alec Smith posts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith posts   Alec Smith posts EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 8:31 pm

Kain wrote:
Guess who's back.

Back again.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Alec Smith posts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith posts   Alec Smith posts EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 9:49 pm

Quote :
A masterwork Chain Shirt, imbued with strong magical enhancements. 25 lbs
Phantom: A masterwork Arcane-Arms Caliver Pistol of "Invisibility," 2 lbs
Spitfire: A masterwork Arcane-Arms Arquebus Pistol of "Burning Hands," 4 lbs
Sunflare: A masterwork Arcane Arquebus Rifle of "Scorching Ray," imbued with minor magical enhancements, slight magical sharpening, and minor firebursts, 8 lbs
Unbreakable: A masterwork Arcane-Arms Caliver Pistol of "Wall of Force," 2 lbs
Blitz: A masterwork Arcane-Arms Double-Barreled Shotgun of "Chain Lightning," imbued with strong magical enhancements, 8 lbs
Darksnare: A masterwork Arcane-Arms Caliver Pistol of "Protection Against Evil," 2 lbs
Force Grenades: x16 Masterwork Arcane-Arms Grenades of "Telekinesis," 10 lbs, 1/2 lb each
Tempest Grenades: x20 Masterwork Arcane-Arms Grenades of "Chain Lightning," 10 lbs, 1/2 lb each
AMF Grenades: x20 Masterwork Arcane-Arms Grenades of "Antimagic Field," 10 lbs, 1/2 lb each

Don't you think this is a bit.. much?
Back to top Go down
Rutabega
Administrator
Rutabega

Alec Smith posts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith posts   Alec Smith posts EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 9:50 pm

Zaku wrote:
Quote :
A masterwork Chain Shirt, imbued with strong magical enhancements. 25 lbs
Phantom: A masterwork Arcane-Arms Caliver Pistol of "Invisibility," 2 lbs
Spitfire: A masterwork Arcane-Arms Arquebus Pistol of "Burning Hands," 4 lbs
Sunflare: A masterwork Arcane Arquebus Rifle of "Scorching Ray," imbued with minor magical enhancements, slight magical sharpening, and minor firebursts, 8 lbs
Unbreakable: A masterwork Arcane-Arms Caliver Pistol of "Wall of Force," 2 lbs
Blitz: A masterwork Arcane-Arms Double-Barreled Shotgun of "Chain Lightning," imbued with strong magical enhancements, 8 lbs
Darksnare: A masterwork Arcane-Arms Caliver Pistol of "Protection Against Evil," 2 lbs
Force Grenades: x16 Masterwork Arcane-Arms Grenades of "Telekinesis," 10 lbs, 1/2 lb each
Tempest Grenades: x20 Masterwork Arcane-Arms Grenades of "Chain Lightning," 10 lbs, 1/2 lb each
AMF Grenades: x20 Masterwork Arcane-Arms Grenades of "Antimagic Field," 10 lbs, 1/2 lb each

Don't you think this is a bit.. much?

Alec Smith posts More_Dakka_by_MajesticChicken
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Alec Smith posts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith posts   Alec Smith posts EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 9:54 pm

Your picture is broken. Fixed itself.

Also, there is no way someone in this era would be able to manufacture jackets for shotgun shells. A blunderbuss is one thing, but an actual, literal shotgun is absurd. I'm assuming you mean blunderbuss, and I'm going to just pretend it's not double barreled.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Alec Smith posts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith posts   Alec Smith posts EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 9:57 pm

This is a bit much. Serious note, like. You probably got this though all that DnD cherade as well, holy shit.

Can I politely ask you to consider how absolutely and ridiculously imbalanced this all is?

Back to top Go down
Pat
Administrator
Pat

Alec Smith posts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith posts   Alec Smith posts EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 10:00 pm

Zaku wrote:
Your picture is broken. Fixed itself.

Also, there is no way someone in this era would be able to manufacture jackets for shotgun shells. A blunderbuss is one thing, but an actual, literal shotgun is absurd. I'm assuming you mean blunderbuss, and I'm going to just pretend it's not double barreled.

Actually, you're quite right. I can't believe I didn't notice it. It would have to be a blunderbuss or nothing at all.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Alec Smith posts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith posts   Alec Smith posts EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 10:01 pm

And before this all fires back on me, I am being entirely civil and I am not attacking Kain. I am stepping forth and saying something here on the grounds that this is really, really ridiculous. Kain is a fine roleplayer, I actually find the way he portrays Alec on the server a bit refreshing, HOWEVER, for whatever reason every single one of Kain's characters is absolutely overpowered to a point where it's stupefying.

Last edited by Zaku on Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rutabega
Administrator
Rutabega

Alec Smith posts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith posts   Alec Smith posts EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 10:08 pm

Zaku wrote:
And before this all fires back on me, I am being entirely civil and I am not attacking Kain. I am stepping forth and saying something here on the grounds that this is really, really ridiculous. Kain is a fine roleplayer, I actually find the way he protrays Alec on the server a bit refreshing, HOWEVER, for whatever reason every single one of Kain's characters is absolutely overpowered to a point where it's stupefying.

I can relate to just about everything said above. Though to be fair I don't think I've ever really watched Alec fight inserver so I wouldn't know how well he uses all of that gear. I assume it's pretty well though.
Back to top Go down
Munroe
Tryhard
Munroe

Alec Smith posts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith posts   Alec Smith posts EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 5:32 am

Remember that each gun only "shoots" one particular spell, and has the same drawbacks as the guns of the era- a long reload time and only one shot. Alec's not as powerful as a full-on mage would be with these spells- his require him to prepare the spell, then point and shoot at whatever he wants the spell to affect, rather than just waving his hands around.

That being said... 56 grenades and a "strong" enchanted chain shirt? And everything is masterwork, of course. How does acquiring all of this gear leave him with over 12,000 farthings? And his spellbook has 86/100 pages used? Does that mean he knows 86 different spells? Alec's a great character and all, but this seems completely unfair to everyone else we deny for being OPed.
Back to top Go down
Venom OPS
Administrator
Venom OPS

Alec Smith posts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith posts   Alec Smith posts EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 6:35 am

Munroe wrote:
Remember that each gun only "shoots" one particular spell, and has the same drawbacks as the guns of the era- a long reload time and only one shot. Alec's not as powerful as a full-on mage would be with these spells- his require him to prepare the spell, then point and shoot at whatever he wants the spell to affect, rather than just waving his hands around.

That being said... 56 grenades and a "strong" enchanted chain shirt? And everything is masterwork, of course. How does acquiring all of this gear leave him with over 12,000 farthings? And his spellbook has 86/100 pages used? Does that mean he knows 86 different spells? Alec's a great character and all, but this seems completely unfair to everyone else we deny for being OPed.

This, and I did see some rp combat with him the other day. Pretty much fired one Fire-spell bullet or whatever, and it was game over. I mean, the capability to do all of these spells outweighs the negatives of guns in this era. On top of that, my character was going to make a new gun for him. Reading this, not happening. Kain, retconning Bepem and Alec's rp. The second he said arcane, Bepem shook his head and left.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/VenomOps
Kain
Vengaboy
Kain

Alec Smith posts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith posts   Alec Smith posts EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 6:50 am

I think there's some confusion here. The shotgun doesn't shoot shells. The Arquebus are loaded by paper casing, power, match, and then bullet. The shotgun is basically a blunderbuss. with two barrels and narrow holes, and takes a while to load both barrels, but individually, not as long as the arquebus because it has an even dirtier firing method. As you can see, none of these guns shoot bullets modern day bullets. The only way they operate outside of the norm is that they facilitate Alec's spellcasting.

12,500 farthing, 1,250 shillings, 125 crown, 12.5 noble. It's actually not much at all for someone's entire wealth. He had 13k earlier, but, shooting shredded silver means one shilling per shot, so I shave it down regularly. In order to keep firing silver, he has to keep an income, and his income comes from monster hunting; which is fairly profitable for the rare supplies it allows one to bring in, but since the market's bad, the income is notably worse. I guess I can drop this really low, I can live with being poor.

About the magic and the weapons: Alec can only use what he's made. The only spells he can't cast through a gun are basic, minor ones, like a light, or magical detection. His spellbook has a variety of magic, but a majority of it is useless until it gets outfitted into a weapon. As for the number of pages, no, not 86 spells. Certain spells only take up one page, others take up much more depending on complexity. He has 45: The first 19 are miscellaneous 1-page spells like open/close, light, dancing lights, daze and flare. The next 11 are 1-page basic spells, which are for utility; only 2 or 3 have a real use when not on a gun. The useful ones include Shield (pretty much a floating oval shield of force about the size of a tower shield) and Grease, which conjures a bit of grease and paints a surface with it. The remaining 15 are actual, useful spells of rising complexity.

A note on the grenades; they're single-use only. Alec uses them pretty sparingly, because making a fresh batch takes a long time and a fair sum of money. The 56 is his entire stockpile. Again, if this number is too high for comfort, I'll drop it to a quarter of the original, I can live with that.

As for the quality, arcane arms and magical items must be masterwork quality at the bare minimum. If you're working with expensive resources in a sensitive line of work, well, the chances of success drop drastically with low-grade equipment. So I'm afraid I can't really change this, this is a requirement for the weapons to even function. Dropping things elsewhere might help, I guess.

Alec is also a magical crafter. He was one before he left, and he never stopped being one, so he's reinforced his armor and a couple weapons. That said, the "strong" descriptor is not as meaningful as it sounds. The increment in magical rating essentially tells you how much of a difference you'll notice. Before, Alec's chain shirt would've been mediocre, and now it's strong. The magical protection just spreads out and affects regions the chain shirt cannot properly cover. In terms of strength, 'strong' would mean these regions are protected with the same strength as the chain shirt's steel chain-mail, wereas 'minor' would be like an added layer of leather.

Venom OPS wrote:
This, and I did see some rp combat with him the other day. Pretty much fired one Fire-spell bullet or whatever, and it was game over. I mean, the capability to do all of these spells outweighs the negatives of guns in this era. On top of that, my character was going to make a new gun for him. Reading this, not happening. Kain, retconning Bepem and Alec's rp. The second he said arcane, Bepem shook his head and left.

Venom, that's a gross exaggeration. That RP was decided by Taric, all I did was singe the gnoll and knock it off its balance. Prior to the fire, I actually shot it in the leg with a bullet, which contributed more.

Edit: k, i lowered the number of grenades and divided the farthings by 10.

Last edited by Kain on Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:22 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Venom OPS
Administrator
Venom OPS

Alec Smith posts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith posts   Alec Smith posts EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 7:01 am

Regardless, i'm not going to incorporate arcane magic into a needle-pin weapon. Break-barrel design, the character would be indestructible. I don't really care how it's done ic, but ooc I can't get myself to do that.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/VenomOps
Anonymous

Alec Smith posts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith posts   Alec Smith posts EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 7:33 am

Munroe wrote:

That is still an absurd amount of spells at one's finger tips. Even if it takes him time to reload these spells (This is such an awful concept, I'm not going to lie) he can use them in conjunction and pretty much overwhelm anyone. There would be no way to defend yourself, which I experienced first hand while playing Arkhauser. Being able to shoot rays of fire, lighting bolts, utilize telekinesis and snuff magic abilities is a lot of power. And that's only naming a few spells, I didn't even realize he had /more/.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Alec Smith posts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith posts   Alec Smith posts EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 7:36 am

Reapplication?

Reapplication.
Back to top Go down
Dominator046
Senior Wizard
Dominator046

Alec Smith posts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith posts   Alec Smith posts EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 8:16 am

I am having a hard time trying to add to this discussion; I try to be constructive where I can, and in other situations just shut my mouth. I have a few things I can contribute, though nothing major, so I'll just speak my pieces quickly and let the major points be brought up by those fit to make them.

Now, having an OP character is not the end of the world, the aspects on an OP character is not terrible in the IC damage it can create, but more over the OoC damage I feel that can be created. I trust your roleplaying abilities thoroughly Kain, and if this character is designed to be OP, than skip down to where I begin with "Nextly" and just read that; however, if this was to be a fair and even character, than the other bodies of statements may interest you as well.

First off, this character is over-powered, now when I say this, I try to make an adequite and contrite statement and address the causes for which he or she is over powered, and help the character evolve into a state in which he can become a suitable level of power applicable to roleplaying. Having said this, I honestly can't think of any way to help suggest anything to improve the standing of your character that will keep the design the same image as what you desire. When I look at this, I see an angsty anime hero just out of his teenage years with a lifetime's dedication to several skills, with a reputation and upkeep of a living legend; truthfully, I am trying to look at this character in a light that will allow you to keep the design you want while remaining balanced... but I don't know. I'll get more on this later, I just wanted to address this point: This design is over powered.

Nextly, your character is fairly young for the sheer amount of expertise he has; not only is he a master craftsman, monster hunter, and enchanter (by the looks of it), but he's the confidence/initiative to thoroughly devastate any opponent he could come across. I'm not doubting your roleplaying ability or intricacy in the least, but what I am saying, is that that I think that this recipe is perhaps one for disaster.

Nextly, I want to be bluntly honest; I wouldn't feel comfortable while roleplaying in events regarding this character were he to be accepted in this state. I honestly would probably leave the event; Truth be told, I would feel my character was being outshined, only holding back Alec, and if not in constant threat of a much more powerful character just mopping the floor with my characters with little of my supplemented RP taken into account. Not that I'm accusing of having reason to believe Alec Smith would do that, the PK possibility I'm less worried about, it's RP, it happens; I just wanted to speculate that that too would effect people's IC, through OoC material..

Following this, what 'Magical Enchantments' are imbued in your 'Masterwork Chainmail Shirt'? As well, learning gunsmithing doesn't mean you know how to make chainmail, or other pieces of arms and armor; while certain pieces may require more intricacy than others, blacksmithing still requires its skill and practice. While I would also like to learn what magics are imbued in the piece, I would also like to know what branches of smithing and engineering Alec is keen on. As somebody who has taken four years worth of construction based classes (Drafting both Mechanical and Architectual, Woodshop, and Architectual Modelling) I know that knowing one does not necessarily mean you know the other.

Lastly, in all seriousness, I don't think he should be able to carry all of these guns with him, these guns, even pistols, are big, and that's not even getting into the nature of their magical powers. Truthfully, I would honestly say give him one gun that can be applied with an enchantment, keep the enchantment throughout a fight, and be reenchanted once a day, and out of combat. The bombs... well... I don't trust it, but I can't offer any ways to improve upon it, and I don't think its character breaking AS LONG as he can only carry a small number of them at one time.
Back to top Go down
Munroe
Tryhard
Munroe

Alec Smith posts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith posts   Alec Smith posts EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 8:44 am

Mind you, I'm not arguing for or against this, I just wanted to clear some things up...

Dominator046 wrote:
Nextly, your character is fairly young for the sheer amount of expertise he has; not only is he a master craftsman, monster hunter, and enchanter (by the looks of it), but he's the confidence/initiative to thoroughly devastate any opponent he could come across. I'm not doubting your roleplaying ability or intricacy in the least, but what I am saying, is that that I think that this recipe is perhaps one for disaster.

He's not a master craftsman, enchanter, or even a master monster-hunter. It doesn't say he is anywhere on the page. His weapons are not crafted 100% by him, he buys components and labor with his accumulated wealth from hunting monsters.

Dominator046 wrote:
Nextly, I want to be bluntly honest; I wouldn't roleplay in events regarding this character were he to be accepted in this state. I honestly would probably leave the event if not disconnect from the sever entirely. Truth be told, I would feel my character was being outshined, only holding back Alec, and if not in constant threat of a True Neutral character just idly shooting him in the back with an instant PK. Not that I'm accusing of having reason to believe Alec Smith would do that, but, True Neutral characters are often HIGHLY unpredictable, succumb to change, and lack loyalty; more so even than chaotic neutral characters, as while they act on impulse, they tend to ONLY act on impulse, whereas a True Neutral character can reach any place at any extreme. Anyways, the point remains: I feel that if this character were to be accepted, he is powerful enough to the point that any and all other characters would merely be holding him back, and even were a level 80 elite boss to appear, we wouldn't be able to so much help him as get in the way, or provide cushioning for the surroundings; this is the primary reason I wouldn't play with Alec, the PK possibility I'm less worried about, it's RP, it happens.

Alec brings characters along on monster hunts who he feels will contribute to the fight. A character that would "just get in the way" would not be taken along. For example, I can't see Alec ever taking Kara along in a monster hunt, since she is blind and can't even fight. And that's a perfectly believable response in that situation.

My views on his alignment differ from yours. I don't see a True Neutral character just randomly killing someone on impulse. That's something a Chaotc Evil character would do. True Neutral characters don't care one way or the other about following rules or breaking them, they're inherently selfish. To a True Neutral, killing someone just wouldn't be worth it, unless the benefits outweighed the costs.

Dominator046 wrote:
Following this, what 'Magical Enchantments' are imbued in your 'Masterwork Chainmail Shirt'?

The chain shirt was bought. The enchantment on it strengthens it, but at the end of the day, it's still chainmail. It can be pierced by a strong enough blow.

Dominator046 wrote:
Lastly, in all seriousness, I don't think he should be able to carry all of these guns with him, these guns, even pistols, are big, and that's not even getting into the nature of their magical powers. Truthfully, I would honestly say give him one gun that can be applied with an enchantment, keep the enchantment throughout a fight, and be reenchanted once a day, and out of combat. The bombs... well... I don't trust it, but I can't offer any ways to improve upon it, and I don't think its character breaking AS LONG as he can only carry a small number of them at one time.

This, I agree with. Instead of carrying around an armory, he should realistically only be able to have a few guns and a couple grenades at any given time. But if Alec is okay with being weighed down by 40 lbs of gear all the time, compromising mobility, whatever.
Back to top Go down
Dominator046
Senior Wizard
Dominator046

Alec Smith posts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith posts   Alec Smith posts EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 9:04 am

Munroe wrote:
My views on his alignment differ from yours. I don't see a True Neutral character just randomly killing someone on impulse. That's something a Chaotc Evil character would do. True Neutral characters don't care one way or the other about following rules or breaking them, they're inherently selfish. To a True Neutral, killing someone just wouldn't be worth it, unless the benefits outweighed the costs.

I actually agree with you on standing against my Neutral neutral accusation; I edited my post, I need to double check my rambling sometimes when I begin to write longer reviews. Truth be told, I'm glad you pointed this out, it was an ineffective piece that I'm glad I saw and ripped out of my statement before this one became apparent to me.

---

Munroe wrote:
Alec brings characters along on monster hunts who he feels will contribute to the fight. A character that would "just get in the way" would not be taken along. For example, I can't see Alec ever taking Kara along in a monster hunt, since she is blind and can't even fight. And that's a perfectly believable response in that situation.

That's the issue though, isn't it? In the wake of his current abilities, who wouldn't just be in the way? I mean, he throws down a couple spell bombs, fires a couple of his spell guns, and he effectively has a killing-zone of mystical powers that could prove highly lethal to any character in his tracks (if played with convincing wording). The sheer shock and awe value of the playing, as well as its function, and ability to be condensed into a single /me makes it intimidating and or useless for another player to try and chime in. I believe that Kain is a great roleplayer, to say the least, but a character of great power can have that effect.

---

Munroe wrote:
He's not a master craftsman, enchanter, or even a master monster-hunter. It doesn't say he is anywhere on the page. His weapons are not crafted 100% by him, he buys components and labor with his accumulated wealth from hunting monsters.

Isn't there a comment somewhere that reads something like this...
Kain wrote:
About the magic and the weapons: Alec can only use what he's made.
That was said in a comment made by Kain third from the bottom of the first page. So, does this imply that ALL of his gear he made, or that he only made what he's enchanted... which is... well... everything?

---

By the way, I am glad you came over and addressed my review. = ) I wanted to make sure I wasn't being too harsh, or narrow-sighted.
Back to top Go down
Kain
Vengaboy
Kain

Alec Smith posts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith posts   Alec Smith posts EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 9:48 am

let me try to go in order

I'm sorry to have him come off as, uh, angsty anime hero. I don't look at him as a hero, myself.

My character started out with a fair sum of experience at about 22 and a half when I made him. He's now 23 and has gone through more chaos than almost any other character who was with him at the same time; I could only use Taric as a proper comparison, although Terri would be close in that list, too, and Ganelon not far behind.

Adulthood comes at 16, some would argue younger. Alec should've been maintaining his family's shop by 17 or 18. He's, instead, been learning his trade, doing it for a grand total of 5 years now. He's in his prime to be learning and polishing on everything he's gained up until this point. Certainly not a master, but he knows his trade and has more experience with monsters, specifically, than someone who focuses on fighting people, or even armies. Likewise, Alec's focus isn't for fighting other people with the same general range of skills as him (using swords in calculated attacks, fighting people with guns, or even fighting a host of magi). To make up for that, he uses tactics.

The 'masterwork' trait I placed is a bit misleading, I think. It isn't saying that the weapon is 10 grades higher than all others, it just improves the overall functionality. Masterwork armor hinders movement less, and masterwork weapons are more accurate, or if we're referring to melee weapons, have better penetration. To compare: A standard arquebus pistol may only be capable of hitting a target for about out to 150 feet, a masterwork one would be good for up to 175. The parts are made with finer precision so so it just shoots a little bit better. That fine precision in construction is also required to make Arcane Arms of any variety.

Dominator, you've already rp'd with Alec in an event. you had the spotlight with Vorn for 90% of the event. Often, Alec can't even act because people are acting on their own and Alec's attacks are often too wide to use freely. He shot one normal bullet, used fire once, and made one force wall. This stopped Vorn from getting away and let everyone continue the battle with him which, frankly, was a battle where Pat went easy on you guys.

I already explained the magic. It's a general enhancement of the armor. It deflects blows better, is a little hardier and more long-lasting. The general enhancements for the weapon are the same; a little easier to aim and adds a little more force, depending on the increment. The strength increases in a linear manner while the cost in an exponential manner. And yes, Munroe is right, Alec first buys the parts and resources, then adjusts them and completes his craft. He specializes in the assembly of weapons, and in imbuing magic. He doesn't specialize in making armor, and thus, not magic armor- he could improve it, but not make it from scratch, and he can't apply magic to an armor that was not made for it. So, really, his weave-enchanted armor was a long-term investment he started way back.

As for the heavy weight, yes, they significantly affect his ability to move and I factor that in. Alec rarely chases after people. When they get out of his range, that's about his limit. When he's running away, he takes routes that are hard to follow and uses his other skills to make up for limited mobility. It's a severe trade-off, but he does it to be prepared, because he fights monsters, and most monsters will outrun you no matter how little you're wearing.

Dominator045 wrote:
That's the issue though, isn't it? In the wake of his current abilities, who wouldn't just be in the way? I mean, he throws down a couple spell bombs, fires a couple of his spell guns, and he effectively has a killing-zone of mystical powers that could prove highly lethal to any character in his tracks (if played with convincing wording). The sheer shock and awe value of the playing, as well as its function, and ability to be condensed into a single /me makes it intimidating and or useless for another player to try and chime in. I believe that Kain is a great roleplayer, to say the least, but a character of great power can have that effect.

Well, yeah, Alec's been around for a while, and so has Taric, but as I pointed out earlier, you(Dominator) were in a roleplay with him and functioned just fine. Alec used a telekinesis grenade to unbury a victim before he could die in the building Vorn trashed. He used a cone of fire to stop Vorn from running (and hurt some people in the process), then a force wall to trap him on one side of a tunnel for the other combatants. Sure, he can hold his own one on one against a nobody, but that's not the idea; that's stupid. You'll find that plenty of people are welcome to join the hunters, and no, they aren't out-shined; on the contrary, they're encouraged to step up to the challenges the group faces. The Monster Hunters was a way to let other hopeful adventurers step into the action and earn a name for themselves; it was an avenue they could take.

To extend on the point of being active and seeing a lot of combat, I'll post the old activity log that I removed because it was big and took a while to fill out. This will give you an idea of how active the hunters were, take a look.

Spoiler:

im probably not going to be recording all this stuff anymore.
Back to top Go down
Dominator046
Senior Wizard
Dominator046

Alec Smith posts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith posts   Alec Smith posts EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 10:54 am

Kain wrote:
I'm sorry to have him come off as, uh, angsty anime hero.

Part of me does feel that statement was a little harsh, and I apologize. However, that paragraph was intended to reach you if you had intended him to be on a level playing field. I was not aware of the more refined aspects of combat used in conjunction with the tools that Alec was presented.

---

Kain wrote:
Adulthood comes at 16, some would argue younger. Alec should've been maintaining his family's shop by 17 or 18. He's, instead, been learning his trade, doing it for a grand total of 5 years now. He's in his prime to be learning and polishing on everything he's gained up until this point. Certainly not a master, but he knows his trade and has more experience with monsters, specifically, than someone who focuses on fighting people, or even armies. Likewise, Alec's focus isn't for fighting other people with the same general range of skills as him (using swords in calculated attacks, fighting people with guns, or even fighting a host of magi). To make up for that, he uses tactics.

I believe I did mistake your claim at 'masterwork', but, I'm not entirely sure that's my error; the root word in that description being Master, I decided to take it as much 'srs business'. I apologize for confusion involved, but I do think that pointing it out was worthwhile, either to present quality issue, or to present description issue. As well, I had assumed he used tactics in his combat, but I wasn't sure if they were strictly limited to monster hunting.

---

Kain wrote:
The 'masterwork' trait I placed is a bit misleading, I think. It isn't saying that the weapon is 10 grades higher than all others, it just improves the overall functionality. Masterwork armor hinders movement less, and masterwork weapons are more accurate, or if we're referring to melee weapons, have better penetration. To compare: A standard arquebus pistol may only be capable of hitting a target for about out to 150 feet, a masterwork one would be good for up to 175. The parts are made with finer precision so so it just shoots a little bit better. That fine precision in construction is also required to make Arcane Arms of any variety.

This helps sway things more into a proper range. I am not sure masterwork was the best word to use, as I stated above, but what you reason does seem fair enough alone; the amount of magic he has still draws me to pause.

---

Kain wrote:
Dominator, you've already rp'd with Alec in an event. you had the spotlight with Vorn for 90% of the event. Often, Alec can't even act because people are acting on their own and Alec's attacks are often too wide to use freely. He shot one normal bullet, used fire once, and made one force wall. This stopped Vorn from getting away and let everyone continue the battle with him which, frankly, was a battle where Pat went easy on you guys.

I do remember this, now that you mention it; truth be told, I'm still very surprised that's how the event went down, and Aedelric didn't end up bleeding on the roadside, needing a hand to get to the healing house. In any case, you are right, you played Alec very well, so much so that I forgot that he was present in the matter; your ability to roleplay was never in question in my eyes. = ) You're a great roleplayer, but I'm trying to give you an honest review on how your character compares to what the normal constraints of power are for players; I have no doubt you can handle your power, even though it seems, you have the potential to use quite a lot of it.

---

Kain wrote:
I already explained the magic. It's a general enhancement of the armor. It deflects blows better, is a little hardier and more long-lasting. The general enhancements for the weapon are the same; a little easier to aim and adds a little more force, depending on the increment. The strength increases in a linear manner while the cost in an exponential manner. And yes, Munroe is right, Alec first buys the parts and resources, then adjusts them and completes his craft. He specializes in the assembly of weapons, and in imbuing magic. He doesn't specialize in making armor, and thus, not magic armor- he could improve it, but not make it from scratch, and he can't apply magic to an armor that was not made for it. So, really, his weave-enchanted armor was a long-term investment he started way back.

Hearing this is additional relief as well. The good quality, enchanted armor does seem fair for Alec, since he's probably been an important badass here for quite some time. I was primarily worried about his crafting skills in regard to the comment I quoted. You've quelled that, and you continue to make your character seem more viable with more explanation.

---

Kain wrote:
As for the heavy weight, yes, they significantly affect his ability to move and I factor that in. Alec rarely chases after people. When they get out of his range, that's about his limit. When he's running away, he takes routes that are hard to follow and uses his other skills to make up for limited mobility. It's a severe trade-off, but he does it to be prepared, because he fights monsters, and most monsters will outrun you no matter how little you're wearing.

Understandable, but as Munroe agreed, the system of having all of these multiple enchanted guns seems a bit unwieldy, and leads to some of the confusion regarding balance and power.

---

Kain wrote:
Well, yeah, Alec's been around for a while, and so has Taric, but as I pointed out earlier, you(Dominator) were in a roleplay with him and functioned just fine. Alec used a telekinesis grenade to unbury a victim before he could die in the building Vorn trashed. He used a cone of fire to stop Vorn from running (and hurt some people in the process), then a force wall to trap him on one side of a tunnel for the other combatants. Sure, he can hold his own one on one against a nobody, but that's not the idea; that's stupid. You'll find that plenty of people are welcome to join the hunters, and no, they aren't out-shined; on the contrary, they're encouraged to step up to the challenges the group faces. The Monster Hunters was a way to let other hopeful adventurers step into the action and earn a name for themselves; it was an avenue they could take.

I had no doubt that Alec has been around, seen his share of troubles, and kicked his fair share of ass. Most of what I mentioned I made note that it would only apply if you wanted a character comprised of a Normal amount of power input into a character. I apologize for forgetting your display of control while handling Alec, it honestly did slip my weak mind. I apologize once again if my concerns and presentations applied a spin on Alec's character that wasn't there; I do regret my original typing about a particular DnD section of characters that I've had rough past experiences with, but that's neither here nor there. What I would like to say, is that you have shown that you are capable of using Alec, but upon reading this bio, he does seem quite intimidating, and I wrote this from the perspective of someone who (assumed) he hadn't played with him before.

In all honesty, I think most of my characters would be willing to help out (if not have one or two of them legitimately join) the Monster Hunters; having you explain the workings of your character, and cite these references help put an ease to the original intimidation I received upon reading the biography.

---

Kain wrote:
To extend on the point of being active and seeing a lot of combat, I'll post the old activity log that I removed because it was big and took a while to fill out. This will give you an idea of how active the hunters were, take a look.

im probably not going to be recording all this stuff anymore.

That was an extensive log, so forgive me for not reading all of it. From what I did see, Alec is a powerful character in great hands; of this, I am sure, but he is still that powerful character. You manage to settle and handle the issues that I've brought up well with respect and evidence.

His abilities are still quite powerful in my book, and might draw me to pause; but you've shown you are able to control them, and I won't question that Alec has earned the reputation and respect he receives IC and OoC. I also hope that none of my idiocy posed too much in the way of disrespect; all was meant in the respective purposes of reviewing, analyzing, and comparing your character to the average power level of a character.

Now, as a closing statement, I still think this character could spark some issues; I still am drawn to pause by the amount and potential damage of the firearms he possesses, but it seems far more complacent in the light that you've shown them. I still would like to see how others feel about this, and I hope they read this lengthy chain of messages. = )
Back to top Go down
Kain
Vengaboy
Kain

Alec Smith posts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith posts   Alec Smith posts EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 11:23 am

Eh, I don't mind the criticism. I have been criticized on sillier and more serious matters before, it's to be expected when you're adding any level of power to your character. Everytime something powerful shows up, everyone raises brows and need to know the inner workings. I bet more than one of you would be surprised to hear that Alec suffered a moment of helplessness last night. Technically, two.

Oh, and a closing statement about the weight: you know real soldiers carry over 60 lbs, right? Alec's not a soldier, but he's still in a line of work that requires bringing along a lot of gear.

Last edited by Kain on Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dominator046
Senior Wizard
Dominator046

Alec Smith posts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith posts   Alec Smith posts EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 11:38 am

Kain wrote:
Eh, I don't mind the criticism. I have been criticized on sillier and more serious matters before, it's to be expected when you're adding any level of power to your character. Everytime something powerful shows up, everyone raises brows and need to know the inner workings.

I try to keep a level head, with my small brain though, it doesn't always work. = P
Back to top Go down
Kain
Vengaboy
Kain

Alec Smith posts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith posts   Alec Smith posts EmptyWed Jul 29, 2015 8:28 pm

Looking back upon this after three years, I realized you guys had your jimmies rustled over nothing special. It was just the Kain brand name raising eyebrows again.
Back to top Go down
Munroe
Tryhard
Munroe

Alec Smith posts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith posts   Alec Smith posts EmptyWed Jul 29, 2015 9:11 pm

Kain resurrects an ancient thread just to bitch and moan at people. Classic Kain right there.
Back to top Go down
Kain
Vengaboy
Kain

Alec Smith posts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith posts   Alec Smith posts EmptyThu Jul 30, 2015 3:20 am

Damn right. I picked the moment most opportune, when no one could stop me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Alec Smith posts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith posts   Alec Smith posts Empty

Back to top Go down

Alec Smith posts
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next