Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

More shit no one cares about

Go down 
+16
noodle
LawnJesus
citricalComborginator
Atlas
Pat
Psyche
thorogoodd
J. Jordan
Black Banana Party
Venom OPS
Spadge
Dominator046
Beans
Blitz
Rutabega
Munroe
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Blitz
Vengaboy
Blitz

More shit no one cares about - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: More shit no one cares about   More shit no one cares about - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 7:15 am

Atlas wrote:

Quote :

There's some girl, Erika I think her name is that's a vampire; and this is known by the whole bar crew with Halaster going so far as to call in a favor to have her hide with the Goblins outside of Surna. Also Morigen is a Shar worshipper.

Everything just went horribly wrong for me, wasn't like I was running around biting people or baring my fangs. I had made one bad mistake that was going to be mended and then idk how it even unfolded to what it is. With other people from the bar finding out (Excluding Erik) That was not my fault in any way possible, except for trying to blend in socially.

looks like i'm going to have to be the "bad guy" and silver bullet me some vampires
Back to top Go down
Atlas
Vengaboy
Atlas

PostSubject: Re: More shit no one cares about   More shit no one cares about - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 8:55 am

O boy
Back to top Go down
Beans
Scrub
Beans

PostSubject: Re: More shit no one cares about   More shit no one cares about - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 11:14 am

I dislike Evil characters in general. I enjoy Neutral and Lawful Good. I am in the midst of making a really good character right now.
Back to top Go down
Munroe
Tryhard
Munroe

PostSubject: Re: More shit no one cares about   More shit no one cares about - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 11:48 am

Spoiler:

I guess no one's been reading this thread
Back to top Go down
Blitz
Vengaboy
Blitz

PostSubject: Re: More shit no one cares about   More shit no one cares about - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 12:49 pm

Beans wrote:
I dislike Evil characters in general. I enjoy Neutral and Lawful Good. I am in the midst of making a really good character right now.

I hope you mean you dislike them ICly.
Back to top Go down
Rutabega
Administrator
Rutabega

PostSubject: Re: More shit no one cares about   More shit no one cares about - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 3:32 pm

Munroe wrote:
Spoiler:

I guess no one's been reading this thread

Hey, at least it's moved outside of the tavern.

Baby steps Munroe, baby steps.
Back to top Go down
Beans
Scrub
Beans

PostSubject: Re: More shit no one cares about   More shit no one cares about - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 08, 2012 4:54 am

Blitz wrote:
Beans wrote:

I dislike them OOCly only. I play in the eyes on my character when roleplaying and Rak'Thorr is not one to basically pick sides, so he is noted as Neutral. I mean I have played evil characters and have enjoyed them but I like evil characters that have plot to them, not just kill everything cause they are good or cause mass destruction on everything cause the character is evil.
Back to top Go down
citricalComborginator
Scrub
citricalComborginator

PostSubject: Re: More shit no one cares about   More shit no one cares about - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 08, 2012 5:18 am

Beans wrote:
Blitz wrote:
Beans wrote:

I dislike them OOCly only. I play in the eyes on my character when roleplaying and Rak'Thorr is not one to basically pick sides, so he is noted as Neutral. I mean I have played evil characters and have enjoyed them but I like evil characters that have plot to them, not just kill everything cause they are good or cause mass destruction on everything cause the character is evil.

it's also kinda meh when supposedly evil characters are nice guys, and the only reason they have the evil tag slapped on them because they had a shitty history--even though they are over it and will never speak of it because the rper doesnt bother with it anymore.
Back to top Go down
Munroe
Tryhard
Munroe

PostSubject: Re: More shit no one cares about   More shit no one cares about - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 08, 2012 5:22 am

Is there an echo in here
Back to top Go down
LawnJesus
Giant Scrub
LawnJesus

PostSubject: Re: More shit no one cares about   More shit no one cares about - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 08, 2012 6:37 am

Lemme try to pitch in a few cents here. As a forewarning, it's gonna be pretty unorganized.

Lore:
This is probably gonna sound shitty for the folks who have put their hearts and souls into the lore.

Is it too long? I mean, people just might pass it up or skim it because it could just be too long and too convoluted for those who wanna just get out there and RP. Could we make a few "digests"? That is, pages on certain things summarized for quick access and information, with links directing to the full pages for more interested readers? Like I said, this may only be me speaking, but I lose interest when I have to study a whole fuckboat of lore as if it's a whole school assignment or something. We have lives and other things to attend to, and reading novels of lore and THEN a "what I've learned" in character application format is pretty time consuming.

TL;DR: TL;DR sections for lore.

Evil characters:
Face it, there are a lot of characters that are good. Then there's the watch. And whatever else Munroe said is above them. There are too many good character factions. Now, I'm not saying get rid of them, but could they be balanced by introducing more evil characters, or at least evil factions? Give the characters purpose, instead of just killing and shitting on people. Make evil cultist factions that have some goal, and then infiltrate the town with them. One dude that kills a few people is just gonna be smashed like a bug in an instant. Another thing, good characters don't flinch when evil is amok. They just go to whatever the disturbance is and smother the flames.

That may even be why people don't play as evil characters. They could get annihilated instantly. I know I had the fear of just getting staked in a heartbeat if Lillian was an evil vampire.

Yes, I am guilty of making a good girl vampire.

TL;DR: Need evil characters and/or factions with purpose, other than the standard fare of murder and robbery. Good characters need to face intimidation.

Events:
Yeah, I'd say have more people run some events. Have multiple events going at once? Include whoever into events, etc.

I pretty much agree with Munroe's view on events.

Playerbase:
Make more evil characters. Go outside of your element to diversify yourselves. Don't whine when your characters die. If you throw your life into danger, go in knowing you could die.

Hell, make normal characters, even.

I think that's all I've got.
Back to top Go down
Munroe
Tryhard
Munroe

PostSubject: Re: More shit no one cares about   More shit no one cares about - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 08, 2012 7:16 am

The problem is not that there aren't enough evil characters, it's that there aren't enough good ones. I don't mean good as in nice, but good as in high-quality. Evil characters are either not evil at all, or they're just 2-d cartoon villains who kill a bunch of people for no reason.
Back to top Go down
LawnJesus
Giant Scrub
LawnJesus

PostSubject: Re: More shit no one cares about   More shit no one cares about - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 08, 2012 7:18 am

That's what I'm trying to get it. There needs to be more than just the murdering.
Back to top Go down
noodle
Monthly Bather
noodle

PostSubject: Re: More shit no one cares about   More shit no one cares about - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 08, 2012 8:00 am

Munroe wrote:
Is there an echo in here

-echo in here
-echo in here
-in here
-in here
-here
[-here
Back to top Go down
Tucker
Scrub
Tucker

PostSubject: Re: More shit no one cares about   More shit no one cares about - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 6:41 am

my character can't make friends with anyone because that goodguy barbuddy shit defending their vampire friends but hating people who think differently from them

everyone make a big league of racist characters so we can outnumber the other ones and beat them up in the back alleys then we can leave and everything will be fixed
Back to top Go down
BooM
Archmage
BooM

PostSubject: Re: More shit no one cares about   More shit no one cares about - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 7:15 am

Tucker wrote:
everyone make a big league of racist characters so we can outnumber the other ones and beat them up in the back alleys then we can leave and everything will be fixed

don't worry, the evil club v2 is going to be starting again. it's accepting new members.
Back to top Go down
Fuzzy Wolfy
Scrub
Fuzzy Wolfy

PostSubject: Re: More shit no one cares about   More shit no one cares about - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 7:42 am

The problem here isn't as much as people being too critical about powerful characters as much as people trying to get everyone to start out all equally. Yes, people do amass power through role play and development, and usually those people are left alone seeing as all their powers, skills and equipment have a legitimate backstory and reason behind them. However, a surprisingly large amount of people are simply too scared to make normal characters, or even weak characters. I'm not inviting you to point out your characters' flaws, but I've hardly ever seen - be it now, in old Olden or in old old Olden - a character who's entirely human, or simply normal in the sense that they aren't magically adept, they don't have weapon training and don't have some great ties with powerful people. I've only seen a very select few make normal blacksmiths, bartenders or tradesmen who's character revolves around them simply trying to survive and make a living. I repeat, I have seen a few, but not enough. Everyone in town is magical or carries a weapon, it's intimidating and it's hard to antagonize or befriend someone who's possibly more powerful than you in various ways. There's no room for an 'evil' character to grow or progress when everyone is a white knight, or when everyone is simply 'powerful'. There can't be any evil if there isn't anyone to harass or target.

I made a Fae character in old Olden who's main goal was to cause mischief in creative ways to keep herself entertained, and it worked to a certain degree with people who weren't badasses or badasses in disguise. I manipulated someone's heart ICly and put them through some hardships which they pulled through in a magnificent RP that took two weeks to fully finish, and their character went through some amazing developments - so much so that their views and goals changed radically. That character did not achieve power, nor did he become a warrior, he started normal and he ended normal - albeit wiser from the experience.

I guess this boils down to what are you here for, maybe? Some people love action oriented RP, and I don't think we should deny them that. Others tend to lean towards passive RP where development comes from social interactions, and that's also justified and reasonable, but they do it in such a mundane and repetitive way that progress can't really be made.

I haven't been to new Olden for very long, but I've always been the one so far to come forth and try to interact with characters I didn't know; I tried to sell them fish, or I tried to pickpocket them - the pickpocketting didn't go so well because, surprisingly, they were super experienced with thieves doing this and stopped me out right... But I've never seen petty thieves around Olden, ever, so how they get this experience is beyond me.

So far, only Atlas and his undead character - I forget who - was the only one to approach me (A new member, reasonably on the same level as any newcomers since my character has no ties, I have only two or three long time friends here and I'm starting out with a relatively weak character) and his first action towards me was to 'attack' me, OOCly stating he wasn't going to kill me to reassure me that my one and only character wasn't in any mortal threat. Personally, it was a great RP - and still is, as its still going - but you have to see where I'm coming from with a new player's only interaction coming from being assaulted. New players are timid, and they'll often need prompting - from older members - to get them involved in something.

Yay, I can rant too
Back to top Go down
BooM
Archmage
BooM

PostSubject: Re: More shit no one cares about   More shit no one cares about - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 8:27 am

Well given where Surna is, it's a shit hole that has seen more action than most places. This is why mercs of many degrees go to the city to earn money because some one is always going to have a job with all the bad stuff going on around and in Surna. However, I do agree that we don't really have average people for the most part and that's fine as long as RP is continuing in various ways. I, for one, hate to make "normal" characters. Instead I love to create conflict with my own character and others. Greed and power vs what some one thinks is just and right is what I think creates RP that is fun.
Back to top Go down
Pat
Administrator
Pat

PostSubject: Re: More shit no one cares about   More shit no one cares about - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 8:35 am

Tucker wrote:
my character can't make friends with anyone because that goodguy barbuddy shit defending their vampire friends but hating people who think differently from them

I can't speak for everyone, but the way I've been playing Barton in this issue (the vampire) isn't someone who thinks that vampires are just regular okay people who are discriminated against by zealots and that vampires should be able to live with us in peace, but as someone who's haunted by having needed to kill vampires and werebeasts while desperately desiring to save them. Like I've had him say IC, he's killed them before and will again, but he wants / needs to hope in the ability of someone to redeem themselves, and to not be lost entirely to the darkness.

Also, there once was a league of racist characters. An entire faction of them. It tore the community apart and caused a whole shitload of chaos and bad blood.
Back to top Go down
noodle
Monthly Bather
noodle

PostSubject: Re: More shit no one cares about   More shit no one cares about - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 8:50 am

The Aerian Front sounds like your kinda shit. They're rascist wedding crashers.
Back to top Go down
Munroe
Tryhard
Munroe

PostSubject: Re: More shit no one cares about   More shit no one cares about - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 9:31 am

Fuzzy Wolfy wrote:
The problem here isn't as much as people being too critical about powerful characters as much as people trying to get everyone to start out all equally. Yes, people do amass power through role play and development, and usually those people are left alone seeing as all their powers, skills and equipment have a legitimate backstory and reason behind them. However, a surprisingly large amount of people are simply too scared to make normal characters, or even weak characters. I'm not inviting you to point out your characters' flaws, but I've hardly ever seen - be it now, in old Olden or in old old Olden - a character who's entirely human, or simply normal in the sense that they aren't magically adept, they don't have weapon training and don't have some great ties with powerful people. I've only seen a very select few make normal blacksmiths, bartenders or tradesmen who's character revolves around them simply trying to survive and make a living. I repeat, I have seen a few, but not enough. Everyone in town is magical or carries a weapon, it's intimidating and it's hard to antagonize or befriend someone who's possibly more powerful than you in various ways. There's no room for an 'evil' character to grow or progress when everyone is a white knight, or when everyone is simply 'powerful'. There can't be any evil if there isn't anyone to harass or target.

This is because nobody listened when we told them power shouldn't be the focus of RP and now you can't have a normal or evil character because he/she will get owned by an army of powergamers because he/she disagrees with someone.

God help you if your character insults a Kazuth or thinks all vampires should be burned for being unnatural abominations. Or if you're sexist. Or if you're racist against goblins, orcs, driders, drow, or any other "evil" race. Because despite being a medieval fantasy RP everyone is extremely progressive in their thinking except when it comes to dealing with people that don't agree with them. When someone doesn't agree they are to be dogpiled, stabbed, and beaten into a bloody, unrecognizable pulp.

I introduced the Aerian Front to counterbalance this issue. It's a fairly powerful, influential group of pro-humans that can create some conflict. Not that anyone's characters will join it or react to it in any way other than "KILL IT KILL IT KILL IT BLOOD DIE"

Oh yeah and there's way more to being evil than "Lol I attack u." Vorn Tyrr was effective at being evil without directly killing or even hurting anyone (besides the goblins). Then everyone metagamed and treated him like shit until he was backed into a corner and forced to show his evilness.
Back to top Go down
Fuzzy Wolfy
Scrub
Fuzzy Wolfy

PostSubject: Re: More shit no one cares about   More shit no one cares about - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 9:48 am

Munroe, add me over SF, I really want to discuss what you said over mainly due to me having gotten a pretty good idea - at least in my eyes.

Also, this is exactly what I mean. Everyone is encouraged to start on equal footing - if not weaker, but no one wants to start weaker because then they'll get picked on or be seen as a minor character and get the minimum out of their RP. The powerful lead the RP and are often the center piece of the RP, meaning they get more development and fame from it.
Back to top Go down
TheGunrunner
Dedicated Poster
TheGunrunner

PostSubject: Re: More shit no one cares about   More shit no one cares about - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 11:15 am

I know this is a really basic and simple idea, but for some stuff to do... What about a quest board?

A player or admin has his small event idea approved (Pm, approval section, whatev), with a reward and all that at the end. The players interested go to him and he can run it himself.
Back to top Go down
Fuzzy Wolfy
Scrub
Fuzzy Wolfy

PostSubject: Re: More shit no one cares about   More shit no one cares about - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 11:57 am

I believe players can already suggest events and put IC notices for errands or things they need done, but I fully and heartily approve the idea of a quest board seeing as posting your own idea or suggestion - especially if it's written ICly - in a general board is kinda hard for people to do.

I also hear we have players that are in charge for events, I suggest they simply make more - or we grant more people the power to hold small events that could involve a single or several players. Yes, I said a single. If a player isn't part of any group RP, doesn't mean they should be shunned or left out until they go out of there way to meet up with you.

Edit: Mind you, there's a difference between being inconvenienced and being angsty.
Back to top Go down
noodle
Monthly Bather
noodle

PostSubject: Re: More shit no one cares about   More shit no one cares about - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Well, I know that I ran an event with Dom, BBP and Jordan back before GMod 13, it was pretty successful and wasn't terribly combat-oriented as brought up by the first post.

Id also like to see more passive events, like the carnival we had, that was really great fun.
Also, another ball that I keep hearing about would be neat to have.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: More shit no one cares about   More shit no one cares about - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

More shit no one cares about
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2