Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Platian "Land" Octopus

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
PhoenixRhapsody
Vengaboy
PhoenixRhapsody

The Platian "Land" Octopus Empty
PostSubject: The Platian "Land" Octopus   The Platian "Land" Octopus EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 7:39 am

Habitat
The "land" octopus is found anywhere there is water. Contradictory to its name, the "land" octopus does not live its whole life on dry land. In fact, only the adults live on dry land. This is due to a metamorphosis in the anatomy that will be discussed below. From spawnlings to young adults, they live only in slow moving waters. This allows them to be in many places across Aeria. The most common places to see them are in the jungles of Sarkun, but they are not exclusive to that locale. Mountain springs are the highest they can be found, so long as there is moving water.

Life Cycle
Humble Beginnings:
Adolescent:
Young Adults:
Adulthood:

Diet
Spawn to Young Adult:
After Metamorhosis; Adulthood:

Symbiosis
Pros/cons for the host:
Pros/cons for the octopus:

Last edited by PhoenixRhapsody on Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:49 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Venom OPS
Administrator
Venom OPS

PostSubject: Re: The Platian "Land" Octopus   The Platian "Land" Octopus EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 7:54 am

Not that my opinion matters on lore based matters, but this is a very interesting concept. I feel it can fit in the lore without a doubt, but its capabilities are a bit tricky.

The healing factor is certainly powerful, and outweighs the cons I believe. Besides that, all is well.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/VenomOps
PhoenixRhapsody
Vengaboy
PhoenixRhapsody

PostSubject: Re: The Platian "Land" Octopus   The Platian "Land" Octopus EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 8:08 am

Venom OPS wrote:
The healing factor is certainly powerful, and outweighs the cons I believe. Besides that, all is well.

Let's take a look at the kind of places you are likely to see one.
  • On a troll.
  • On a bear.
  • On a moose.
  • On a wild horse.
  • Large animals aside from these are also included.

Simply said, the likelyhood of finding one that likes people is low. If someone found one, it would likely not take the human as a host unless it was starving. They may be common, but I would think they would be less likely to be used for their symbiotic advantage because of the sheer gross factor. It may not be impossible, but it would be unlikely.

I am willing to look at more cons if some can be thought of, but I will leave it as is for now.
Back to top Go down
Munroe
Tryhard
Munroe

PostSubject: Re: The Platian "Land" Octopus   The Platian "Land" Octopus EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 9:31 am

Seems okay to me. Can the healing factor regenerate lost limbs or broken bones?
Back to top Go down
PhoenixRhapsody
Vengaboy
PhoenixRhapsody

PostSubject: Re: The Platian "Land" Octopus   The Platian "Land" Octopus EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 10:06 am

Munroe wrote:
Seems okay to me. Can the healing factor regenerate lost limbs or broken bones?

Lost limbs, no.

It would help a tad for broken bones. Maybe a week less than normal for repair.
Back to top Go down
PhoenixRhapsody
Vengaboy
PhoenixRhapsody

PostSubject: Re: The Platian "Land" Octopus   The Platian "Land" Octopus EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 2:35 pm

Need any suggestions y'all can come up with.
Back to top Go down
Dominator046
Senior Wizard
Dominator046

PostSubject: Re: The Platian "Land" Octopus   The Platian "Land" Octopus EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 7:50 am

PhoenixRhapsody wrote:
Need any suggestions y'all can come up with.

This is just a shot in the dark, and I am not a biology whiz so you'll need to do the learning/reasoning here, but how about more long-standing/further passive effective ramifications? Such as loss of fertility, or perhaps something like colorblindness? You have to remember, way back in medieval times, not all nations of common folk bathed often; in fact the 'bad air' referred to the air through the common-districts of towns because they were so rank; a slightly more rank person, who may already have that smell on them, doesn't seem entirely appetizing as a negative factor.

Something else, for the sake of roleplaying, maybe there's a short window where someone who's been attacked by one of these parasites can find help? Maybe the barbed hook-like appendages extend and work into the person slowly; so there is a short amount of time where a decision could be made on whether or not to allow there to be symbiosis This is just my opinion, I think it adds a little more depth, and that much more self-loathing for someone who hasn't noticed the octopus on their back. Wouldn't really affect animals though, since I imagine it would take articulated thumb-based grasping, and a bit of a pull to dislodge the octopus; whereas simple shaking would be insufficient.
Back to top Go down
PhoenixRhapsody
Vengaboy
PhoenixRhapsody

PostSubject: Re: The Platian "Land" Octopus   The Platian "Land" Octopus EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 2:07 pm

I have taken the color-blindness idea into consideration and added night-blindness instead. As far as the smell factor, I have added that the smell is of rotting corpses. People don't want to smell like corpses, so people will not let the creature latch onto them, generally speaking. There are always exceptions though.

In addition to the smell and sight change, the effects have to build up over the course of a week, so you generally won't see this as one of those immediate fixes. If the new host puts it on and is seconds away from death, they will likely die. If they put it on for a week and remove it for a day, they should have the effects for at least a day before the octopus is really necessary again.
Back to top Go down
PhoenixRhapsody
Vengaboy
PhoenixRhapsody

PostSubject: Re: The Platian "Land" Octopus   The Platian "Land" Octopus EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 7:31 am

bumpitty BUMP
Back to top Go down
Venom OPS
Administrator
Venom OPS

PostSubject: Re: The Platian "Land" Octopus   The Platian "Land" Octopus EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 7:43 am

Yes
Moving
Back to top Go down
thorogoodd
Monthly Bather
thorogoodd

PostSubject: Re: The Platian "Land" Octopus   The Platian "Land" Octopus EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 7:44 am

Since when was Venom's name blue?
Back to top Go down
PhoenixRhapsody
Vengaboy
PhoenixRhapsody

PostSubject: Re: The Platian "Land" Octopus   The Platian "Land" Octopus EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 7:45 am

Since two days ago.
Back to top Go down
Venom OPS
Administrator
Venom OPS

PostSubject: Re: The Platian "Land" Octopus   The Platian "Land" Octopus EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 8:22 am

Azul in this mutha fucka.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Platian "Land" Octopus   The Platian "Land" Octopus Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Aeria Roleplay :: The Librarium :: Bestiary-
Jump to: