Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gatekeeper

Go down 
+5
Abel
Jackxter
Christoph
Themodtester
Psyche
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Psyche
Keeper of the Thunderboner, Protector of the Hatefuck Chalice
Psyche

Gatekeeper Empty
PostSubject: Gatekeeper   Gatekeeper EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 12:37 pm

"Helm speaks to me as I rest. He tells me of past Gatekeepers, and how they came to perish. I am afraid, but only when I am afraid may I be brave.

Gatekeeper 1319509310073

"I am the hammer, I am the right hand of Helm, the instrument of His will, the gauntlet about His fist, the tip of His spear, the edge of His sword."

Quote :
At one point in time, he was referred to as Ser Tommen Blackburn, young knight of Sanctimonia and brother of the indomitable Ser Johan Blackburn, born and raised in Sanctimonia. Now at age 28, after embarking on a quest for aid ridding the land of evil, Tommen set aside his knighthood to assume the role of The Gatekeeper; champion of Helm and wielder of Ky'Indel the Blue Sword.

Quote :
General:
Tommen and his brother share their father's hazel hair and green-blue eyes, but that is where their similarities end. With fair skin and standing only five-foot ten, Tom is slimmer than his brother, and speaks in a more refined manner.

Tommen is by no means a weak person. While not as physically mighty as his elder brother Johan, Tommen has been physically conditioned by years of chivalrous, knightly adventure. Tommen is as fast on his feet as his is strength with a blade, albeit normally stiff in personality and bone.

Tom's general demeanor and attitude spell 'control', or the pursuit thereof, as he only chooses to show passion during the heat of battle. Although his attitude is often incredibly formal and refined, Tommen has grown very devoted in his servitude to Helm and the protection of innocents, where his faith is quite literally his shield.

Quote :
Skill:
Tommen Blackburn cannot fly, he cannot expertly use a rifle, and he does not have extensive knowledge of demons and monsters. While not truly versatile, single combat sword-on-sword is where Tom excels. Trained by Sanctimonian swordsmen in the use of swords since a young age, Tom has grown to excell with a longsword. On two separate occasions Ser Tom was chosen by nobles to serve as their champion in a trial-by-combat. Tom is familiar with advanced techniques, and is a tough match for skilled swordsmen.

Since first finding Ky'Indel, Tommen has devoted all his time and energy into studying the writings of past Gatekeepers and training in such a role. Subsequently, he has learned to use the magic blade to channel magic and perform cantrips in the form of minor evocation, such as brief jolts of electricity. More importantly, Tommen has learned to use Ky'Indel to create protective wards, or even have himself act as one powerful ward. Tommen is still very much inexperienced in his role as The Gatekeeper, and his unrefined use of Ky'Indel's powers show.

Quote :
Biography:
Spoiler:

Months have passed since Tommen was given Ky'Indel at the foot of The Black Tower, and since then he has devoted all time and efforts into the servitude of Helm as The Gatekeeper, even after it costed him his knighthood and renown.

Weaponry:
  • Ky'Indel
    Also known as The Blue Sword, Ky'Indel is the tower of Helm; the diety's physical presence in Aeria. As such, the blade is indestructible as it is not made of any particular metal or material, although the blade does mimic the properties of mithril. Ky'indel is bound to Tommen, meaning the sword cannot go more than a few feet away from him.

• Sheen
    A mithril longsword of masterful craft, sporting a blade lined with silver. The sword was forged by the command of Ser Crowley, shortly after he had Tommen knighted.

• Sturdy Steel Dagger
    This fairly generic dagger has no special properties, other than it is made from castle-forged steel. It can be thrown, juggled, used to skin animals, and shank a wolf like any other dagger, but Tommen considers it lucky.

Apparel:
  • Knightly Platemail Armour
    Modern blacksmithing techniques have allowed Tommen's steel plate armour retain effective durability and protection, while allowing the arms and legs to be relatively unhindered in movement. The castle-forged steel has a slight gold hue to it, and from under the pauldrons a black cape is draped.

• Round Shield
    A simple common-sized round shield of wood an iron, with the Blackburn insignia on the front- a black flame over a gold background.

• Black Surcoat
    It is impractical to always wear plate mail, so Tommen commonly wears a fine surcoat, trimmed with black and yellow with a chain shirt worn under it.

Last edited by Psyche on Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:09 pm; edited 34 times in total
Back to top Go down
Psyche
Psyche

Gatekeeper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gatekeeper   Gatekeeper EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 8:05 am

No more wip.

Just wait for Big Blackburn.
Back to top Go down
Themodtester
Scrublet
Themodtester

Gatekeeper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gatekeeper   Gatekeeper EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 10:30 am

From what Mack said, I'll take it into consideration, though I can not say with 100 % certain that I am willing to approve this character just yet.
Pending

Last edited by Themodtester on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Christoph
Almost-Member
Christoph

Gatekeeper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gatekeeper   Gatekeeper EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 10:31 am

Themodtester wrote:
Call me biased all you want, but I honestly can not accept this character, I don't care if he's a knight or whatever , he is simply too overpowered for me to comfortably toss an accept
Deny from me until he's balanced a bit more.. But knowing your type, ain't gonna happen.
He's really not that overpowered. If you think about knights as elite soldiers, with access to the best training and equipment. He's about right.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Gatekeeper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gatekeeper   Gatekeeper EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 10:32 am

Themodtester wrote:
Call me biased all you want, but I honestly can not accept this character, I don't care if he's a knight or whatever , he is simply too overpowered for me to comfortably toss an accept
Deny from me until he's balanced a bit more.. But knowing your type, ain't gonna happen.

Read the descriptions, man, it's quite balanced.

And no need to be hostile, now.
Back to top Go down
Themodtester
Scrublet
Themodtester

Gatekeeper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gatekeeper   Gatekeeper EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 10:37 am

Krug wrote:
Themodtester wrote:

Read the descriptions, man, it's quite balanced.

And no need to be hostile, now.

I did, and it did not change my opinion on this by the slightest.

Last edited by Themodtester on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:43 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Gatekeeper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gatekeeper   Gatekeeper EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 10:40 am

keep in mind these guys are supposed to help the guards, so they're basically here to keep all the darkdeepnedgy characters from burning down the forest just because they're big badasses, which would mean they'd need some skill
Back to top Go down
Themodtester
Scrublet
Themodtester

Gatekeeper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gatekeeper   Gatekeeper EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 10:43 am

Mack wrote:
keep in mind these guys are supposed to help the guards, so they're basically here to keep all the darkdeepnedgy characters from burning down the forest just because they're big badasses, which would mean they'd need some skill

If you say it like that, I'll take it into consideration, though I have still a small bit of doubt.
Back to top Go down
Jackxter
Giant Scrub
Jackxter

Gatekeeper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gatekeeper   Gatekeeper EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 11:25 am

Sounds like this character is just going to make the guard even more useless and give them less things to do then already. He'll walk in, slaughter the bad guys, leaving us standing there to applaud him. Basically, he's America. Depower him a bit and I'll throw in my accept.

Last edited by Jackxter on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Gatekeeper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gatekeeper   Gatekeeper EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 11:28 am

Jackxter wrote:
Sounds like this character is just going to make the guard even more useless

I think the point is the two knights will stride in and go, "GET OFF YOUR ASSES AND DO SOMETHING."

If nothing else they'll stimulate the guard to actually go and do their jobs, right? And, since the town is 100% evil guys at the moment, why not add these two vastly outnumbered guys on the good side of the law?

Got my accepts.
Back to top Go down
Psyche
Psyche

Gatekeeper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gatekeeper   Gatekeeper EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 11:29 am

Quote :

It's not every day that someone sees a character, does a 180 degree spin and completely miss the point.
Back to top Go down
Abel
Scrublet
Abel

Gatekeeper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gatekeeper   Gatekeeper EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 11:52 am

Gatekeeper 14938074
Back to top Go down
Jackxter
Giant Scrub
Jackxter

Gatekeeper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gatekeeper   Gatekeeper EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 11:53 am

Psyche wrote:
Quote :

It's not every day that someone sees a character, does a 180 degree spin and completely miss the point.

I get your point quite clear, but you may unintentionally do more harm then good. So no, I still don't throw in my accept until he's depowered a bit.

Abel wrote:
Gatekeeper 14938074

Half of Olden in a nutshell.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Gatekeeper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gatekeeper   Gatekeeper EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 5:46 pm

Quote :
I get your point quite clear, but you may unintentionally do more harm then good. So no, I still don't throw in my accept until he's depowered a bit.

So you're saying that two knights with powers and attributes that are all within reasonable ranges of any mortal man reinforcing the Surnan guard would make them even more useless, and then you go on to say that they need to be depowered even further?

Okay, so what we need in the guard aren't characters who can actually do something to stop crime, we need characters that are basically going to get slaughtered the second any half-evil character decides to nick someone's purse or stab someone in the stomach.
Back to top Go down
Pat
Administrator
Pat

Gatekeeper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gatekeeper   Gatekeeper EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 10:40 pm

I'd like to point out that, when Psyche told me about these characters, I suggested that they might be in more of a consultant role (training and supplementing the watch) to handle the more dangerous threats to the citizenry (therianthropes, undead, undead, etc). Psyche promptly told me that the two knights would probably get wrecked if they tried to go against those nasties.

I personally like the idea of these characters and can't see much problem with them aside from me wrapping my head around what sort of role they would play respective to the Watch, since it doesn't seem right to have two Knights join the Watch, when the Watch isn't supposed to be like the Surnan Guard of old (defending the city militarily, undisciplined, somewhat tyrannical, more of a military) but instead more of a civilian law enforcement group.

So then I thought of one of the ideas I had previously - that in Sanctimonia's very church-centric government, in an effort to both endorse and regulate knights / paladins, (to prevent abuses of religious power, ala the prophet) Knights and Paladins are chartered by the government, by which they attain official status. This basically gives them carte blanche to trot around on knightly adventures in service to Tyr, while also answering to sanctimonia's legal system. They're also required to, from time to time, answer the direct call to aid the government in some way, mostly in matters of the dark arts.

So, like what's said in the character page, they were called to Surna because of the recent troubles / removal of the gatekeeper wards, and would now act as I suggested before - in a supplementary role. They'll train the Watchmen and help them in their duties.

Most of that was already stated in the character thread. Maybe I just needed to get it down on paper to wrap my head around it. I hope that helps clarify their actual role to some that..well, may not have understood it.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Gatekeeper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gatekeeper   Gatekeeper EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 12:12 am

if you look at johan he's pretty much the second coming of raous.
well, third coming.
Back to top Go down
Jackxter
Giant Scrub
Jackxter

Gatekeeper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gatekeeper   Gatekeeper EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 12:47 am

Mack wrote:
Quote :

So you're saying that two knights with powers and attributes that are all within reasonable ranges of any mortal man reinforcing the Surnan guard would make them even more useless, and then you go on to say that they need to be depowered even further?

Okay, so what we need in the guard aren't characters who can actually do something to stop crime, we need characters that are basically going to get slaughtered the second any half-evil character decides to nick someone's purse or stab someone in the stomach.

No, I'm saying the guard is useless because there's rarely any need for them. I never see any crimes, I never have any chance to recover these wards, when I search for Kira I just get dead ends. Basically, most of the time when I'm on if I want to attempt to do some sort of objective to help the town either the people who are required to complete these objectives aren't on or there isn't a non-meta way to complete them. When there is shit to do I want the guard to actually be able to shine, not have some overpowered knight in shining armor (literally) come in and save the day for us.

And if the guard is in such dire threat of being overwhelmed by evil characters or whatever excuse you have for this, why not... I dunno, get more guards instead of this crap? It'd give more people a chance to have fun and shine instead of just feeling like what the Metropolis police department must feel around Superman. Get a recruitment drive going, offer incentives, blah blah blah. It'd create roleplay.

Either way, I don't care that much anymore. I will say it could be somewhat interesting to have some sort of boss to get on the guard's ass (even if there isn't really a point) because that at least would create drama and fun, and it's not like everybody doesn't make their character overpowered as all fuck in-game already so oh well, whatever, nevermind... here's my accept.

Back to top Go down
Psyche
Psyche

Gatekeeper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gatekeeper   Gatekeeper EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 2:06 pm

Gatekeeper WTFAIR

fixed the skillbars because of the raging autism in this thread

Last edited by Psyche on Wed May 09, 2012 1:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jackxter
Giant Scrub
Jackxter

Gatekeeper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gatekeeper   Gatekeeper EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 4:30 pm

Ty Psyche :).
Back to top Go down
Spadge
Vengaboy
Spadge

Gatekeeper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gatekeeper   Gatekeeper EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 4:34 pm

My accept.
Back to top Go down
Munroe
Tryhard
Munroe

Gatekeeper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gatekeeper   Gatekeeper EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 5:58 pm

Accep
Back to top Go down
Xeloras
Administrator
Xeloras

Gatekeeper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gatekeeper   Gatekeeper EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 11:16 am

This deserved to be accepted at the start.
Back to top Go down
Xeloras
Administrator
Xeloras

Gatekeeper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gatekeeper   Gatekeeper EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 4:40 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, please put your hands together for the Gatekeeper.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Gatekeeper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gatekeeper   Gatekeeper EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 4:44 pm

That nose.
Back to top Go down
Munroe
Tryhard
Munroe

Gatekeeper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gatekeeper   Gatekeeper EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 5:11 am

I've deleted 2 posts per Psyche's request. Talk to Xeloras or me in SF.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Gatekeeper Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gatekeeper   Gatekeeper Empty

Back to top Go down

Gatekeeper
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Aeria Roleplay :: Character Compendium-
Jump to: