Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Laura Ajam

Go down 
+8
Fuzzy Wolfy
Venom OPS
Judge Gambit
Munroe
Pat
Atlas
Tucker
noodle
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
noodle
Monthly Bather
noodle

Laura Ajam Empty
PostSubject: Laura Ajam   Laura Ajam EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 2:35 pm

Laura Ajam A_lady_by_hellobaby-d5l2ph1
Physicality
Spoiler:

Biography
Spoiler:

Inventory
Spoiler:

Spellbook
Spoiler:

Last edited by noodle on Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:55 pm; edited 7 times in total
Back to top Go down
Tucker
Scrub
Tucker

Laura Ajam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Ajam   Laura Ajam EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 3:42 pm

noodle

i dare you

to play a man for once

or play someone not sexually arousing
Back to top Go down
noodle
Monthly Bather
noodle

Laura Ajam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Ajam   Laura Ajam EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 3:54 pm

Tucker wrote:
noodle

i dare you

to play a man for once

or play someone not sexually arousing

When Aeria stops being a complete sausage-fest, I'll think about it.
Back to top Go down
noodle
Monthly Bather
noodle

Laura Ajam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Ajam   Laura Ajam EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 5:19 pm

*Now complete so look at it.*
Back to top Go down
Tucker
Scrub
Tucker

Laura Ajam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Ajam   Laura Ajam EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 3:43 am

noodle wrote:

Spellbook
Spoiler:

she wants the d don't she

sorry don't fuck animals

i'm not sure i can vote, but pending is what i'd say. i'm going to see what everyone else has to say.
Back to top Go down
noodle
Monthly Bather
noodle

Laura Ajam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Ajam   Laura Ajam EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 5:40 am

Tucker wrote:
she wants the d don't she

sorry don't fuck animals

... are you being serious? Get out my face, scrub.
Back to top Go down
Atlas
Vengaboy
Atlas

Laura Ajam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Ajam   Laura Ajam EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 3:45 pm

Quote :
Raise Undead
A basic necromancy spell. Raises corpses as weak minions.

I hope this means, recent dead, not just some dude in the ground from thousands of years ago. Don't want you pulling some king from under the cobblestones
Back to top Go down
Pat
Administrator
Pat

Laura Ajam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Ajam   Laura Ajam EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 4:08 pm

I think I like this character. One of the few characters where I don't feel anxious about how they received their magical training from certain fields, because the mages of Maalik teach everything equally, with no mind for morals. You being the one who expanded the lore on Maalik, I don't need to remind you about how they'd be like.

The one thing I might wonder about would be her planetouched status. The general definition of a planetouched is someone who can manipulate the elements without needing to learn how to do so; yet, plants and roots and such aren't really an element, are they? Of course, the very name 'planetouched' comes from an older version of the lore. There are no elemental planes, anymore. So perhaps the very name / concept of the planetouched needs to be looked at.

Of course, that's mostly irrelevant to the character. A lore issue shouldn't hold a character back, which I think is a mistake we made in the past.

So, anyone who looks at this after me, try to judge the character based on what power the planetouched status would bring, and not the lore of the matter.

As for me, I'm leaning towards accepting it.

Oh, one other thing, about the 'raise undead' spell. It's not a spell you can just cast; you need a corpse to draw from, either freshly deceased or prepared for the purpose. I personally like the idea of necromancers needing to prepare a corpse in various ways before using it.

Back to top Go down
Munroe
Tryhard
Munroe

Laura Ajam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Ajam   Laura Ajam EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 4:17 pm

Pat wrote:
Of course, that's mostly irrelevant to the character. A lore issue shouldn't hold a character back, which I think is a mistake we made in the past.

So, anyone who looks at this after me, try to judge the character based on what power the planetouched status would bring, and not the lore of the matter.

I would argue otherwise. If a character is flat-out incompatible with the setting (ie: doesn't follow lore), it should be denied. But of course, it's also bad to get bogged down by minutia and tiny inconsistencies.

Personally, I don't like the idea of planetouched, they seem too powerful. They can be real game-breakers.
Back to top Go down
Judge Gambit
"I am the Law"
Judge Gambit

Laura Ajam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Ajam   Laura Ajam EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 4:48 pm

Yo, Tucker is now my nigga.
Back to top Go down
https://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm161/v4v_bucket2/1232513055
Pat
Administrator
Pat

Laura Ajam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Ajam   Laura Ajam EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 5:54 pm

So, Munroe was kind enough to point out something I had missed - the 'Open Portal' spell. As he pointed out, opening portals (regalication) is more than just hella hard, it's hella balls-to-the-walls insane hard. As said in the magic schools thread,

Quote :
Regalication:
Magical teleportation between realms. Regalication involves the warping of local space to link with that of a more distant space, forming a portal between the two. While not involving the dangers of Translocation, Regalication has it's own dangers. Regalication involves the very warping of space. Miscalculation can involve in explosive catastrophe. Even linking to other realms itself is both difficult and dangerous - many deities refuse interlopers to enter their realms except under certain circumstances. Even linking to the void - the uncontrolled, empty space between realms - is dangerous, given that, without precautions, pressure change can form an uncontrollable vortex; and once in the void, a mage is completely cut off from their source of power, as the weave does not exist in the void. As such a dangerous art warrants, the secrets of Regalication are kept under lock and key, only performed by the greatest mages.

If you want her to have the ability to teleport, Translocation is a better option. Instead of bending space, you use the weave to zip your body around the world. It's still very hard, but not as hard as Regalication. Precise calculations are necessary; if you mess up, you might explode, lose half your face, or teleport inside a rock. Intimate knowledge of your destination is also necessary.

Quote :
Translocation:
Magical teleportation from within Aeria. Translocation involves shifting a target's mass into a higher energy state of existence, allowing the target to slip into the confines of the weave itself. The target is then able to shift along at near-instantaneous speed, before dropping out of this higher frequency state and back into the normal world. Translocation is both dangerous and difficult, requiring the exact knowledge of a target's mass and the exact knowledge of your coordinates. Erring on either issue even by a fraction opens the possibility of tearing the target (often times yourself) in two or appearing inside another object, leading to unspeakably terrible results.
Back to top Go down
Venom OPS
Administrator
Venom OPS

Laura Ajam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Ajam   Laura Ajam EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 7:29 am

Pat wrote:
Laura Ajam Tumblr_mhz664VuqA1rivyo4o4_400

Ok pat, now you're just being Ogrezealous.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/VenomOps
noodle
Monthly Bather
noodle

Laura Ajam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Ajam   Laura Ajam EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 8:27 am

Pat wrote:
Oh, one other thing, about the 'raise undead' spell. It's not a spell you can just cast; you need a corpse to draw from, either freshly deceased or prepared for the purpose. I personally like the idea of necromancers needing to prepare a corpse in various ways before using it.

Well of course, I thought it was pretty common knowledge...

Pat wrote:
So, Munroe was kind enough to point out something I had missed - the 'Open Portal' spell. As he pointed out, opening portals (regalication) is more than just hella hard, it's hella balls-to-the-walls insane hard. As said in the magic schools thread,

Quote :
Regalication:
Magical teleportation between realms. Regalication involves the warping of local space to link with that of a more distant space, forming a portal between the two. While not involving the dangers of Translocation, Regalication has it's own dangers. Regalication involves the very warping of space. Miscalculation can involve in explosive catastrophe. Even linking to other realms itself is both difficult and dangerous - many deities refuse interlopers to enter their realms except under certain circumstances. Even linking to the void - the uncontrolled, empty space between realms - is dangerous, given that, without precautions, pressure change can form an uncontrollable vortex; and once in the void, a mage is completely cut off from their source of power, as the weave does not exist in the void. As such a dangerous art warrants, the secrets of Regalication are kept under lock and key, only performed by the greatest mages.

If you want her to have the ability to teleport, Translocation is a better option. Instead of bending space, you use the weave to zip your body around the world. It's still very hard, but not as hard as Regalication. Precise calculations are necessary; if you mess up, you might explode, lose half your face, or teleport inside a rock. Intimate knowledge of your destination is also necessary.

Quote :
Translocation:
Magical teleportation from within Aeria. Translocation involves shifting a target's mass into a higher energy state of existence, allowing the target to slip into the confines of the weave itself. The target is then able to shift along at near-instantaneous speed, before dropping out of this higher frequency state and back into the normal world. Translocation is both dangerous and difficult, requiring the exact knowledge of a target's mass and the exact knowledge of your coordinates. Erring on either issue even by a fraction opens the possibility of tearing the target (often times yourself) in two or appearing inside another object, leading to unspeakably terrible results.

Yeah, I was questioning the idea of opening a portal to a random place myself, I'll see how I can work in how she came to Surna. I will also change this to Translocation instead of portals.
Back to top Go down
Munroe
Tryhard
Munroe

Laura Ajam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Ajam   Laura Ajam EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 9:32 am

Teleportation requires three things: the ability to do it (obviously), and the exact knowledge of where, and how, you want to end up. The where part is easy - if you have a line of sight, or can magically visualize a distant place, you can go there without winding up inside a wall or something else. The how part is harder - Aeria is round but not spherical, it has gravity, and possibly rotates or moves in some way. There is also air that is being displaced when you suddenly pop into a new location. If you don't take these things into consideration, you might go flying into the air or something equally crazy. All of this makes it seem like teleporting from one location to another should be a fairly complex process.

If teleporting was easy, pretty much everyone would do it and this would have an enormous impact on society. In other words, it would drastically alter the setting. This is bad, especially when you consider that up to this point, it's been established that yes, teleportation is hard.

In terms of mechanics, teleportation is extremely advantageous to have. Imagine fighting someone and being able to suddenly appear behind him and stab him in the back. Or being pursued by authorities for a crime and being able to just vanish into thin air.

Last edited by Munroe on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:55 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Venom OPS
Administrator
Venom OPS

Laura Ajam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Ajam   Laura Ajam EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 9:38 am

I was referring to the signature, Mun.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/VenomOps
Munroe
Tryhard
Munroe

Laura Ajam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Ajam   Laura Ajam EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 10:50 am

Venom OPS wrote:
I was referring to the signature, Mun.

Oh, I hadn't even noticed. Creepy.

I'll edit my post then, sorry.
Back to top Go down
Tucker
Scrub
Tucker

Laura Ajam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Ajam   Laura Ajam EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 6:47 pm

GOOD SHIT
Back to top Go down
Munroe
Tryhard
Munroe

Laura Ajam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Ajam   Laura Ajam EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 5:05 am

Pending until this planetouched thing is worked out.
Back to top Go down
Fuzzy Wolfy
Scrub
Fuzzy Wolfy

Laura Ajam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Ajam   Laura Ajam EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 5:55 am

She got boobs. I approve.

But in all seriousness, what exactly is the extent of her ability to manipulate plant life? Can she create vegetation in an otherwise green-less environment? Like say, the inn?

I already think this character is fine, I'd just love a little more detail on what her powers are like.
Back to top Go down
noodle
Monthly Bather
noodle

Laura Ajam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Ajam   Laura Ajam EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 8:02 am

Fuzzy Wolfy wrote:
She got boobs. I approve.

But in all seriousness, what exactly is the extent of her ability to manipulate plant life? Can she create vegetation in an otherwise green-less environment? Like say, the inn?

I already think this character is fine, I'd just love a little more detail on what her powers are like.

Nah, brah, nah. She needs to be near a living plant to do shiznits.
Back to top Go down
noodle
Monthly Bather
noodle

Laura Ajam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Ajam   Laura Ajam EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 8:34 am

*cough*
Back to top Go down
BooM
Archmage
BooM

Laura Ajam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Ajam   Laura Ajam EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 9:21 am

Yep.
Back to top Go down
Dominator046
Senior Wizard
Dominator046

Laura Ajam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Ajam   Laura Ajam EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 9:41 am

The character design is interesting, and Reis Ti has shown us that, while powerful, Planetouched can be managed, and roleplayed properly. This one, also, won't be conjuring stone armor, lobbing jagged rocks at high speeds, and pulling buildings apart... well, at least not as much so Reis could.

I give my approval. May Al-Jabar find a pupil in this mage.
Back to top Go down
noodle
Monthly Bather
noodle

Laura Ajam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Ajam   Laura Ajam EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 2:22 pm

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Venom OPS
Administrator
Venom OPS

Laura Ajam Empty