Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Races: Dragonkin

Go down 
+3
Blitz
Cakebread
wizered153
7 posters
AuthorMessage
wizered153
Dedicated Poster
wizered153

Races: Dragonkin Empty
PostSubject: Races: Dragonkin   Races: Dragonkin EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 3:30 am

Overview
The Dragonkin are an ancient race of Half Dragon Half Human Hyrbrids that were first seen some time after the dragons dissapeared. The Dragonkin still retain they're dragon ancestor's looks and abilities. The Dragonkin live about two thirds as long as the dragons themselves. Even with the long lifespawn, the Dragonkin population is suprisingly low. Dragonkin are treated as wild animals, some people call them "Unatural beings". This reason is because poeple believe that Dragonkin are still just as destructive and heartless as the original dragons.

The Dragonkin is a very unkown race to anyone but other Dragonkin. They still live the way of the dragons, but try to make friends with other races. Dragonkin tend to follow a Neutral Allignment, yet are very aggresive. The Dragonkin will do certain rituals to become stronger. The Dragonkin are very strong, making them great guards or mercinaries.

THe Dragonkin despise ranged weapons like bows or rifles. They call them the "weapons for cowards". The Dragonkin will usally only practice Hand-to-hand combat, and very few will practice magic. The dragonkin are also great at hard jobs, like blachsmithing or mining. The Dragonkin try their best to prove to everyone that they are not monsters, and that they are just like everyone else.

The Dragonkin will tend to stay with eachother, but many of them tend to seperate from others to start their own lives. Dragonkin are very friendly with eachother and tend to live with eachother. They usally don't follow a certain Diety, and will mostly stay fully connected to the earthly realm.

Origin and History

During the existance of Dragons, an insane human began to collect dragon blood. He went on to create the first 20 Dragonkin were created injecting Dragon blood into newborn human babies after the dragons dissapeared. The first noticable affects of the DNA was rough dragon skin and short tails. The rest of their features were noticed later in life. Another suprising affect was that the DNA carried on trough generations, and that the affects that the first generation were given to the next generation before birth.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Quote :
Dragon Skin
-Dragonkin skin is just as tough as dragons, and able to block light melee attacks and long range bow attacks.

Dragonkin's Height and Weight
-The Dragonkin are much taller than humans, they average around 7' 1"
-The Dragonkiin wieght averages around 300 Pounds.

Sharpened Teeth
- The Dragonkin's teeth are greatly sharpened, and can easily break through stone.

Claws
-All Dragonkin are born with claws, but are generaly dulled until maturity.

Red Eyes
-Dragonkins' eyes are always red.

Decreased Speed/ Agility
-The Dragonkins' bulkiness make it harder for them to run or jump.

Tails
-All Dragonkin are born with a tail that can be as long as 3 inches.
-When they reach maturity, a Dragonkin's tail is grown to a minimum of 3 feet
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Some dragonkin are able to amplify their Dragon side by doing a special ritual and gain special powers that only the dragons themselves had. These are called Blood Dragonkin
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Quote :
Wings
-The Blood Dragonkin have the option of growing wings when they amplify they're dragon side, this gives them the ability to fly.

Breathing Fire
-Blood Dragons obtain a lobe near their throat that allows them to breath fire

Tougher Scales
However, the Dragonkin are almost impossible to heal with magical spells because of their Dragon Skin.

Races: Dragonkin Dragonkin

Last edited by wizered153 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:38 am; edited 9 times in total
Back to top Go down
Cakebread
Vengaboy
Cakebread

PostSubject: Re: Races: Dragonkin   Races: Dragonkin EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 8:15 am

Accept, looks kosher to me.

Now add some more stuff to it and expand.

Last edited by Cakebread on Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wizered153
Dedicated Poster
wizered153

PostSubject: Re: Races: Dragonkin   Races: Dragonkin EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 8:22 am

Hmm, when life gives you lemons... SQUEEZE THEM RIGHT BACK INTO LIFE'S EYES!!!

Last edited by wizered153 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:41 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Blitz
Vengaboy
Blitz

PostSubject: Re: Races: Dragonkin   Races: Dragonkin EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 8:28 am

I'm going to have to deny this. This is well under the bare minimum information for a race. You should reference other lore pages and base yours off of that.

All this is is a list of abilities, it might as well be a stat page for an enemy NPC in an MMO.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Races: Dragonkin   Races: Dragonkin EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 8:42 am

Perhaps not a deny but a pending is more appropriate here.

Blitz wrote:
You should reference other lore pages and base yours off of that.

I agree, there simply needs to be a couple more things that make it resemble a lovely, complete page with the information required for someone to read it and be able to then play a character comfortably knowing the traits they were supposed to have.

Thanks for taking the time to suggest lore though, we always appreciate enthusiasm from new members. :)
Back to top Go down
wizered153
Dedicated Poster
wizered153

PostSubject: Re: Races: Dragonkin   Races: Dragonkin EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 9:18 am

Damn you BBcode, you once again have failed me
Back to top Go down
Beans
Scrub
Beans

PostSubject: Re: Races: Dragonkin   Races: Dragonkin EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 9:21 am

I really think I would like to see more on their culture. How they interact with one another. I also, would like to know more about bloodlines and the such. You have a great start, but I want to through a pending at this. Also, I think Pat has some lore on Dragonkin as well. I do remember the little that he gave me, but I would rather him check this out then me giving fucked up facts.
Back to top Go down
wizered153
Dedicated Poster
wizered153

PostSubject: Re: Races: Dragonkin   Races: Dragonkin EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 9:25 am

Ah yes, I send 3 messages to him over 3 hours. Responce= NONE
Back to top Go down
Munroe
Tryhard
Munroe

PostSubject: Re: Races: Dragonkin   Races: Dragonkin EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 9:33 am

wizered153 wrote:
Ah yes, I send 3 messages to him over 3 hours. Responce= NONE

At least now you know you contacted the right person
Back to top Go down
Kain
Vengaboy
Kain

PostSubject: Re: Races: Dragonkin   Races: Dragonkin EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 11:15 am

*headscratch*

some of you may have forgotten this thread from the old forums, so I'll go ahead and repost it here.

Quote :

[Made by Zaku and Edited by Kain]

Name: Dragonkin Or Dragonborn

Origination: Most Dragonborn are born in their homeland, Kar'rasa

Appearance

Dragonborn have very rough scaly skin that varies from red to green. The average height is 5'10, though a Dragonborn can be as tall as six and a half feet, or as short as five feet. Dragonborn have wings that fold in onto their backs, allowing them to wear armor and encompassing clothing, if need be, though some prefer openings and having room for their wings.

The warrior class are often well built and stout, with broad shoulders and wider wingspans. The scholarly class is often slimmer, sometimes shorter, with smaller shoulders and smaller wingspans.

Personality

Most Dragonkin are respectful, at first, and will behave modestly. The Dragonkin that follow the old ways, however, cherish nature, the world, the self, and the harmony between the three. Those that follow the new ways indulge and embrace knowledge and magic, and frown on anyone they believe is stuck in the past. While either group will not openly disrespect those that do not see eye to eye, they will be less likely to respond in a friendly and helpful manner, if at all. However, if one is to provoke or directly disrespect a Dragonborn, regardless of their cultural choices, the Dragonborn will overreact and act in a hostile, perhaps even violent manner.

History And Culture

The Dragonborn were originally conceived through means of magic after the pact was made between the forces of the Light and the Dragons of Aeria; The forces of Light that had descended upon the world took the form of the mighty dragons and mimicked it, creating smaller Light-based creatures that held the physical properties of the Dragon, but were made in the image of the Gods. Thus, the Dragonborn existed as a living representation of the pact between Dragons and Gods. Yet, after the forces of Darkness had been driven from the world, the Dragonborn were no longer needed by either the Gods or the Dragons. Estranged, the warrior race left their creators to find a new place in the world.

The Dragonborn found refuge in the mountainous regions north of present day Sida. They named their new homeland Kar'rasa, and began cultivating the land for their own needs. The homeland of the Dragonborn was littered with caverns, which would later be covered by stone, wooden, and adobe structures, though the Dragonborn learned to prefer stone and adobe the most, to avoid accidents. Those that travel to Kar'rasa often are stunned by the rugged beauty of the land and Dragonborn city.

As time progressed and the Dragonborn bred, they had begun to lose touch with the forces of Light, and with each generation, their divine power dwindled. This was the pattern that first drove the warrior race to give up their reliance on strength and adopt a more docile, scholarly lifestyle, learning more about the nature of the world itself, first touched by their Dragon ancestors. Thus came the large split in Dragonborn culture, between the warrior and the scholar. Most Dragonborn pursue the path of one or the other.

Though the split in culture caused some dissent between Dragonborn, it also formed a new drive in the race: To move forward and explore the rest of the world. The warriors felt the need to expand and grow in power, and the scholars wished to explore and learn more. Expeditions into the world were sent, and the Dragonborn came to a shocking realization: They were outnumbered. Although they, in their small and humble homeland, had grown at a steady pace, keeping to themselves and breeding modestly over centuries, the world had sped passed them, and many new races had come to occupy the world.

Though they felt threatened, the Dragonborn decided to continue their exploration, learning to speak and act like other races. When the expeditions returned, Kar'rasa learned of the new races, learned again of the Gods and their worshipers, but most of all, learned how to harness the power of the Weave. With the adoption of magic came a new lust for knowledge, further dividing the two cultures of the Dragonborn. Those who stay true to their ancestry live a 'pure' life, relying on nature and themselves to survive. Those who adopt the new way give up their physical prowess to devote themselves to an expansion of knowledge, and mastery of the Weave.

Regardless of which class they are, the Dragonborn as a whole remain a modest and slow-bred race with long lives and few generations. As warriors, they are marginally stronger than most, and some can rival golems. As scholars and mages, they command magic like second nature. Yet, they are few in number and thinly spread, save for their home city Kar'rasa.

Cultural Racism and Biases

The Dragonborn generally regard themselves as deserving respect because of the actions of their ancestors, and their higher, respectful culture. They do not see races as being below them, except for the Drow, Tieflings, Vampires, and other beings of darkness. However, recent times have brought the Dragonborn to have a growing animosity with Humans because of the disregard Humans have for the land, and the disrespectful treatment Dragonborn will often receive in human lands. The Dragonborn also feel humans tend to misuse their magic and knowledge, and thus, shy away from them as well, preferring to stand by the Elves.

Depictions
Races: Dragonkin Dragonborn1Races: Dragonkin Dragonborn2

There's nothing here to include the 200 years that have passed since the times that this lore was made for, so, *shrug*, but before we throw around the dragon-anything races, let's not forget the stuff that was already here.

These could be two distinct races, but I would prefer we only have one psuedo-dragon race, please, so... discuss, let's see what the community thinks.
Back to top Go down
wizered153
Dedicated Poster
wizered153

PostSubject: Re: Races: Dragonkin   Races: Dragonkin EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 11:35 am

What? Noone ever told me that there was already lore for Dragonkins, why didn't you just use that?
Back to top Go down
Kain
Vengaboy
Kain

PostSubject: Re: Races: Dragonkin   Races: Dragonkin EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 1:47 pm

We sorta do use it.

._.'

But we call them dragonborn, not dragonkin. Dragonkin is a more general term that can apply to anything that came from dragon-kind. Y'know? Hydra are technically dragonkin, too.
Back to top Go down
Dominator046
Senior Wizard
Dominator046

PostSubject: Re: Races: Dragonkin   Races: Dragonkin EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 7:53 am

This is a little late, Wizerdred, but you asked for my full review, and here it is:

Alright, I'm going to start up here. I'm not going to compare between your suggestion, and Kain's post, because I want to help hone your suggestion if anything, as that is what you asked of me, and even if Dragonborn lore does exist, it wasn't present for those on the forums to read,

Now, I'm not going to pull any punches, I'm going to be serious with you; if you want a quick accept, you're not going to get it here. I'm going to make every swing I take at this hard as rock, because that's the only thing that's going to help you; it won't be any use to you if I hold back my constructive criticism. Having said that, I'll be polite and respectful, as constructive criticism doesn't imply being rude or mean.

Now, let's begin:

Firstly, I was entirely turned off by the creation story, in all truth, I didn't even read it before beginning this paragraph. As soon as I heard 'crazy human began collecting blood', I couldn't go any further. Criticize me as much as you can, but in all honesty, read it yourself; do you really thing that your history can pull the weight of adding a new, powerful race to Aeria? Having read it now, I can speak on it, and I must say that I deduced all I needed from the quoted sentence above. In addition to the complications caused by the limited knowledge of the time when Dragons inhabited Aeria (which would make gene implanting/test-tube reproduction impossible), sexual reproduction means the spreading and merging of genes; those twenty Dragonkin would've been the only pure specimen, and best case scenerio, imbreeding would provide degenerating samples for a handful of generations, then the Dragonkin would branch off into other races, and be no-more; perhaps some of their traits could be present in their children, but it would water down; that also could only happen IF they could sexually reproduce with other sentient races, or weren't rendered impotent by some sort of side effect of the gene implanting.

Dragon skin may be tough, that's for sure, but longbows were tough as well; a Needle-Head Bodkin arrow from a bow could pierce steel plate (not inflicting a lethal wound, but that's a show of the damage it could deal), a longbow propelling that arrow, or perhaps other specimens of arrow, should be able to harm a dragon kin, and even more so at short range; unless you're implying that they are born with an exo-skeleton of Mithril.

Sharpness doesn't mean hardness, and for Dragonkin teeth to be able to break through stone, really, they would probably need diamond teeth and a jawstrength comparable to a giant alligator on steroids. As well, being descended from Dragons, great beings who ruled the skies, would it not be plausible that the Dragonkin should be less bulky, and more lean/swift; muscle is fine, but I'm just saying that shouldn't dragon mobility be considered?

This Ritual, the powers associated with it, and the dragons who do it and or who are transformed after it are unexplained aside from the buffs they get; as well, I'm not sure there would be anyone NOT running a blood dragonkin, because I don't know who in a society like theirs; downtrodded, neglected, and blasphemed, who wouldn't turn to it and use it to attack or kill their oppressors.

And lastly: While the struggle for Suffrage and Equality is a heart-warming one, I'm not sure it fits Aeria, and I'm not sure it fits their struggle. If something is treated like a monster, there usually isn't parley in the situation; they would most likely be trying to live isolated, or live in hostility with their neighbors. As well, those who are oppressed aren't usually naturally inquisitive, they fall upon more basic codes of judgement; this is good for me, this is bad for me, if it is good I continue the course, if it is bad I eliminate its presence.

That's a lot to take in, I know, but I want to genuinely help you with this suggestion; it's not a bad one, it just needs work. However, it does seem that there is a fair amount of already standing lore to back the Dragonborn; I did look for it when I first joined, but it wasn't available. I admire the attempt to add missing content to the server, that perhaps should've been there from the start. = P

Last edited by Dominator046 on Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:59 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : GRAMMAR)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Races: Dragonkin   Races: Dragonkin Empty

Back to top Go down

Races: Dragonkin
Page 1 of 1