Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A Server Password

Go down 
+5
Cakebread
PhoenixRhapsody
Venom OPS
Blitz
Pat
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

A Server Password Empty
PostSubject: A Server Password   A Server Password EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 5:18 am

Straight up, we need one.

To sit on server and go through an arduous, RP disrupting PMing process on a regular basis, to people who either join with some ridiculous non-serious name and "title1" below it, or someone who simply joins and goes willy nilly without a page thinking that's all fine and okay and ends up leaving when you explain how the server works - is getting a bit annoying.

Can we just password the server and leave it on a global announcement so we can all find it? That way, people who actually want the brand of serious RP we offer can see the forums and then the server. And most importantly, it won't flood up with random minges and the suchlike when we don't have many people to staff the server.

And I have to explain constantly why all that isn't canon at all and I feel like a bastard but pfffft. Surely this is just necessary?

Oh wait, and we could have the forum address in the server name, an intro post or something for people coming from seeing the server to viewing the forums. That could work, right?

There was nowhere else to put this thread.
Back to top Go down
Pat
Administrator
Pat

A Server Password Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Server Password   A Server Password EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 7:24 am

The only problem I'd have with this is that it'd stunt whatever small flow of newcomers we have. Once in a while someone comes along and gets interested by the server roleplay itself and then checks out the intro thread, and so on. We already have a pretty steep learning curve. Most wash out before they really establish themselves, because, right or wrong, we have a lot of hoops for people to jump through. If you were a random roleplayer looking through the server list, would you really stop to grab the link on your scroll down? Maybe, but many might be too lazy.

Also, we do have an intro page, here - https://aeriaroleplay.rpg-board.net/t157-olden-fantasy-roleplay-for-new-players . Try giving that to new players, I've seen others doing it.
Back to top Go down
Blitz
Vengaboy
Blitz

A Server Password Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Server Password   A Server Password EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 7:38 am

Or maybe our admins could grow a pair and ban the people who either don't learn, don't want to learn, or are obviously 11 years old.

See: Artemis (the great alpha or whatever).
Back to top Go down
Venom OPS
Administrator
Venom OPS

A Server Password Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Server Password   A Server Password EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 7:47 am

Oh you remember Art Blitz?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/VenomOps
PhoenixRhapsody
Vengaboy
PhoenixRhapsody

A Server Password Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Server Password   A Server Password EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 8:25 am

I don't think a password would be wise either. It would be better to have a MotD that you have to scroll through with a link to the forums before you get to the character screen. I believe that is possible anyways.
Back to top Go down
Cakebread
Vengaboy
Cakebread

A Server Password Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Server Password   A Server Password EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 12:59 pm

Sorry i wasn't on to teach the newbs today, had the blues today i so slept in bed up to dinner.

I'd say we just using the admin command bring and bring them to the watchhouse prison with it locked and teach em there in seclusion.

Also yesterday I did get a diamond through the shitpile so, the quota was met.

Also I do not understand how our website crashes Art's comp, its pretty asshaty to me.
Back to top Go down
Kain
Vengaboy
Kain

A Server Password Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Server Password   A Server Password EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 2:08 pm

Passwording does seem like it could stop new players from joining, and some of them might be decent, so, that might be too much.

Likewise, mods aren't perfect and can't be on and active all the time. Hm.

What about a votekick feature that only people with tooltrust can initiate, but everyone can vote?

For example, Players A B and C are in game, Player A has TT, but B and C don't. Player C is minging around.

Player A initiates votekick on Player C, everyone gets to vote. A votes yes, B votes yes, C votes no; votes in favor of the kick. Player C is kicked.

You think that would solve your minge problem, or should we further limit voting to players with tooltrust?
Back to top Go down
Munroe
Tryhard
Munroe

A Server Password Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Server Password   A Server Password EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 3:06 pm

I like that idea.
Back to top Go down
Rutabega
Administrator
Rutabega

A Server Password Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Server Password   A Server Password EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 3:29 pm

I hage to disagree with a server password. Today we had so many new members that I've never seen before I can't even count. Sure a bunch of them were noobs that were delt with or squiretrolled away but I do believe a few of them actually come over and took a look at the forums. Those few make all the rest worthwhile.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

A Server Password Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Server Password   A Server Password EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 7:24 pm

I think a server password is a little extreme, just make sure admins are present to both teach and punish players that grow unruly or out of hand. Olden doesn't have a large community you need to appease, we all understand when a disruptive player or outright troll needs to be banned, so feel free to use your admin powers appropriately. There's no reason to keep these players around, especially if they've just got on with a name like Tyrone Biggums. We all know they have no intention to get serious, so just do away with them. Just be ready, as admins, to teach the newer players that do need some help -- because they're there, and sometimes they may act unruly simply because they don't know what they're doing yet.

If there aren't enough admins, I'm not sure what the number is like anymore, but if you've got to give a few people some basic administration powers (just the ability to kick / ban / slap, maybe) then make it happen.

Last edited by Zaku on Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kain
Vengaboy
Kain

A Server Password Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Server Password   A Server Password EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 7:36 pm

Quote :
I think a server is a little extreme,

what a radical concept, zaku

but no, im just poking fun.

well, it would be nice if the community could manage itself, because for the most part, you already do, rite. I think a votekick system or players with kicking privileges might be the best way to go. But for now, I agree with Zaku, a password is definitely too extreme. That's more befitting of a closed RP server or some major servercluster like TnB.
Back to top Go down
thorogoodd
Monthly Bather
thorogoodd

A Server Password Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Server Password   A Server Password EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 7:39 pm

Kain wrote:
Quote :
I think a server is a little extreme,

what a radical concept, zaku

but no, im just poking fun.

well, it would be nice if the community could manage itself, because for the most part, you already do, rite. I think a votekick system or players with kicking privileges might be the best way to go. But for now, I agree with Zaku, a password is definitely too extreme. That's more befitting of a closed RP server or some major servercluster like TnB.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

A Server Password Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Server Password   A Server Password EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 7:45 pm

I fixed my post. I also said 'unbanned' when I had meant 'banned' which is a big mistake.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

A Server Password Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Server Password   A Server Password EmptyThu Aug 23, 2012 1:32 am

Input appreciated. That votekick function sounds bonza.
Back to top Go down
PhoenixRhapsody
Vengaboy
PhoenixRhapsody

A Server Password Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Server Password   A Server Password EmptyThu Aug 23, 2012 3:55 am

I vote for votekick.
Back to top Go down
Kain
Vengaboy
Kain

A Server Password Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Server Password   A Server Password EmptyThu Aug 23, 2012 9:28 am

alright, well, unless there are any other lua-fluent gamemode makers here, i guess ill work on that. it'll probably be a cheap poorly done console command

AND YOU WILL WORSHIP IT LIKE THE HOLY GRAIL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A Server Password Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Server Password   A Server Password Empty

Back to top Go down

A Server Password
Page 1 of 1