Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

DayZ - An Arma 2:OA zombie survival MMORPG.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Blitz
Vengaboy
Blitz

DayZ - An Arma 2:OA zombie survival MMORPG. Empty
PostSubject: DayZ - An Arma 2:OA zombie survival MMORPG.   DayZ - An Arma 2:OA zombie survival MMORPG. EmptyWed May 02, 2012 10:26 pm

http://dayzmod.com/

Basically, probably the most entertaining thing to come out of Arma 2 so far. Here are the basics,

- 8+ servers located in the US, Europe, and Russia with real time. Meaning that day and night are not 12 minutes each. If you join a server that is night time in its country, it's going to be night time.

- You are a survivor in post-soviet nation Chernarus, which has been hit by the zombie infection.

- You must be VERY CAREFUL to survive, as setting off a horde of zombies could be the last thing you do. But remember,"Trust no one". Bandits and highway robbers are out to swindle you and fuck your shit up when you least expect it or when you're the most vulnerable.

- You must eat food and drink water, as well as manage your levels of blood if you've been attacked.

- "Humanity" meter. When you kill enough people, it goes to zero, and you get the Russian VSK skin to identify you as a bandit.

- If you die, you're done. No respawn with the same gear at all, character permadeath.

- A sort of player-inspired lore with the deep north of the map being equivalent to the "Center of the Zone" in STALKER, and the "Airfield" being the Chernobyl NPP almost, told to be abound with weapons and ammo and armored cars.

1st Character, 4 hour lifespan: Spawned in EU server at night. Walked to Elektrograd, the starting point for most people. Sneaked around a bit, trying to avoid the zombies. Found some food and a lee enfield rifle with no ammo. This towns crawling with suspicious people, lets go down the main highway.

The forests seem devoid of any zombies, or human life. Kind of eerie. Following a road to a town that reads "Mogidivilenka" or something. Would probably be good to see what it has in store for me.

Accidentally set off a horde in a small village with a misplaced shot from my makarov, good thing there were only 5.

Heard a British guy using local voice to identify himself as a friendly to a group of people. Before I was able to turn on my mic and try to find them, I heard several gun shots. I'm not alone with the zombies out here, this is bandit territory. Better stay off the road.

Reached Moga. It's dead empty. Of anything. Its a rather large town settled in the forests, yet there was nothing. I didn't find any loot either. Just some road flares and a crossbow bolt. Guess I should keep going.

Reached another town, I'm low on food and water from walking so much. I have to find something in this little village. While crawling into a house, I set a zombie off. IT alerts half of the town into a horde. I run across the plains, but I know if I go into the forests I'll get lost. I turn to shoot the zombies, but they zig zag around and don't stand still until they attack me. They swarm me, knock me down, and eat me. I die somewhere north of Moga.

2nd Character, 2 hour life span: Spawned in FR server at night in Elektro again.

This time I'm being much more sneaky. I found a few player bodies, I assumed a bandit didn't kill them because they had all their gear on. Not much. I see something in the outskirts of Elektro that draws my attention. Headlights. I sprint to them, and climb into the UAZ. To my dismay it's been torn apart by zombies, so I turn the engine off and hear buzzing flies. I look to my right and see a player body. I walk up to him, and huzzah! He's carrying a winchester 1866 with 4 slug packs. I take his stuff and move on.

Soon I see a request from someone in my area to team up. I start searching for them in the hopes they'll be friendly. I run into a large horde though, and even with my good rifle I can't hold them all off. Fucking monkey zombies and their sneaky shit. I got knocked down and they start to eat me. I get up in time to shoot them all off. A rescue attempt from the person who wanted to team up comes, but he brings a whole nother horde with him and dies. I'm under 2000 blood units, I'm using enough morphine to make an elephant trip balls, and I'm alone.

I start to make way out of elektrograd, but the effects of having under 2000 blood warp my vision into huge blobs.I start to search for blood packs or food, carefully, as I can't see for shit. As I'm crawling past some zombies in one village, I hear a rifle shot in the distance. Suddenly, the "bullet hit" icon appears in my damage indicator, I pass out, and die an instant later.

So far:

GREAT mod. If you're tired of zombie games like L4D or dead rising or whatever, and you like the walking dead or 28 days later, this game is just for you. It's very hard, but rewards you for playing carefully. Though my only complaint is that sometimes the players pose a bigger threat than zombies.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: DayZ - An Arma 2:OA zombie survival MMORPG.   DayZ - An Arma 2:OA zombie survival MMORPG. EmptyThu May 03, 2012 5:56 am

I'm sure Jacque's played something like this. Looked amazing, actually. :V
Back to top Go down
thorogoodd
Monthly Bather
thorogoodd

PostSubject: Re: DayZ - An Arma 2:OA zombie survival MMORPG.   DayZ - An Arma 2:OA zombie survival MMORPG. EmptyThu May 03, 2012 8:03 am

Only gripe with this is that it's restricted to their servers only. I'd really love to be able to host my own server for this, but no.
Back to top Go down
Cakebread
Vengaboy
Cakebread

PostSubject: Re: DayZ - An Arma 2:OA zombie survival MMORPG.   DayZ - An Arma 2:OA zombie survival MMORPG. EmptyThu May 03, 2012 8:36 am

I just bought Arma 2 with Operation Arrowhead just to play this mod with my twin.
Back to top Go down
Blitz
Vengaboy
Blitz

PostSubject: Re: DayZ - An Arma 2:OA zombie survival MMORPG.   DayZ - An Arma 2:OA zombie survival MMORPG. EmptyFri May 04, 2012 7:53 am

3rd character sniped for being a mistaken bandit. Fuck me, I had good gear and everything.
Back to top Go down
Judge Gambit
"I am the Law"
Judge Gambit

PostSubject: Re: DayZ - An Arma 2:OA zombie survival MMORPG.   DayZ - An Arma 2:OA zombie survival MMORPG. EmptyFri May 04, 2012 10:30 am

Blitz wrote:
3rd character sniped for being a mistaken bandit. Fuck me, I had good gear and everything.

I wanted your gear Stalker.
Back to top Go down
https://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm161/v4v_bucket2/1232513055
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DayZ - An Arma 2:OA zombie survival MMORPG.   DayZ - An Arma 2:OA zombie survival MMORPG. Empty

Back to top Go down

DayZ - An Arma 2:OA zombie survival MMORPG.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General Boards :: General Chat-
Jump to: