Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Restart?

Go down 
+3
Dominator046
Pat
Atlas
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Atlas
Vengaboy
Atlas

Restart? Empty
PostSubject: Restart?   Restart? EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 2:29 pm

So, with the new forum rp that just popped up, its obvious we aint dead yet Jim. I suggest we get the focus on the server rolling again. Although, not with the current lore. Or atleast time period.

I recommend we go back in time, before gunpowder and sprockets were even invented. Back to the old medieval times. I feel as if the server had drifted too far away from its roots and we need to step back and take a look where that was.

How?

I suggest we get suggestions from everyone about the parts of the lore they do not like, and we fix it. Example, I hate how dwarves are a type of elf. Fucking pat and his damned dogs.

Another way is we completely revert back to the same time period that the server had started, but move the setting to another troubled location, maybe in a corrupt town or some shit.

Another way, even if not everyone likes it, is that we start promoting some people up the ranks to act as the new wave of loremasters and event slaves. I think we've dwindled down to one or two people? I don't even remember.

Anyways, this was my rant that popped up in my head 5 minutes ago, yay for thoughts all over the place.
Back to top Go down
Pat
Administrator
Pat

Restart? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Restart?   Restart? EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 12:11 am

Let me just say this, from my perspective;

Do you want a classic fantasy roleplay, with your own lore closer to that which you enjoy? Do you want classic dwarves, no guns, low technology, and more fanciful magic? Then grab yourself, your friends, and set to writing, designing, populating, and then managing that roleplay. It can be done.

But as far as taking the Olden name itself, and tweaking it according to popular desire, and moving back to an era more 'acceptable' as if the reason Olden fell apart before was because of guns..

I have to say that that won't happen. At the moment, I find it vaguely insulting. Maybe I'm being over-reactive or hypocritical, but I can't stand the idea.

I'll have more to say later, once I get a few more people's thoughts on this.
Back to top Go down
Dominator046
Senior Wizard
Dominator046

Restart? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Restart?   Restart? EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 12:23 am

Olden has been something long before Atlas and I have been around, and what we've experienced was only a single iteration of a much larger experience. I can understand Pat's hesitance in regards to wanting to retain the Olden identity.

Having said that, I can sympathize with Atlas, and a number of other players, even myself - who found ourselves bound by a Narrative that was intensely developed and left little room for personal growth and expanse.

I am going to countermand the points made here, and speculate that we -ARE- done. The entirety of the administrative team can no longer dedicate the time and effort necessary to maintaining a Gmod Server as necessary. A physical server is kept and maintained, but the attention required to keep it presentable is not existent. Tiramisu 2 is increasingly fractured, control over the server is done one person through another, and simply having a working server does not constitute the effort required to manage a roleplay.

It requires the sacrifice of time, effort, and often money - to provide enough inspiration to those who seek to join with the ability to find a meaningful experience.

That is not something that Pat, Rutabega, or I can provide at this juncture. I might have room to provide the effort if I was given access to the other resources required - but that is not the case as of now.

So - how I see this is: To continue the Aeria experience, we'd need a new continuity, with a new basis in both canon and consideration in the server.

--Also, a final point. The tradition of limiting our roleplay to the use of three or so maps, though good maps they have been, has largely been a restrictive one.

Last edited by Dominator046 on Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:04 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typoed very badly. For shame.)
Back to top Go down
Pat
Administrator
Pat

Restart? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Restart?   Restart? EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 12:30 am

I honestly would support the creation of a new roleplay, a new continuity, and so on. Olden itself is too near and dear to my heart to let out of my control entirely, but at the same time, as Dom said, the oldest among us can no longer really dedicate the effort needed. The new generation should seek its own outlet, but I don't think that should be Olden.

Also, as far as the 'restricted to three maps thing', the only reason that was the case was because those were the only maps we could find that fit the setting. So if you can find a better fantasy / medieval oriented map, hell, use it.
Back to top Go down
Dominator046
Senior Wizard
Dominator046

Restart? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Restart?   Restart? EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 6:03 am

Hmm, when I was talking with Rutabega and Spadge, and suggested a number of maps (this was a considerable amount of time ago), they said it was tradition to use the maps produced by that particular author. I had brought up a number of which the only drawback to their use was the occasional telephone pole.

But, moot point. Just sharing. XD
Back to top Go down
Spadge
Vengaboy
Spadge

Restart? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Restart?   Restart? EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 9:49 am

I think the big question that needs to be answered first is what about Olden makes you want to keep it 'Olden'? I think any of you still lurking around should say your piece as well. Is what you want from Olden something you can re-create for yourself and others? Or is Olden itself the setting you want to play in?
Back to top Go down
BooM
Archmage
BooM

Restart? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Restart?   Restart? EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 5:02 pm

marcus olm rp in which everyone plays a clone of the edgiest tiefling around town

we can talk about the future and that shit, but i'd say we're done as olden rp. we've alienated so many people with how much lore we have and kicking / banning people based on what they wanted to do as fun. we're a small community of dedicated people, probably always going to be that. at the end of the day though, we're all friends having fun and we've lost so many friends for sacrificing fun for seriousness.
Back to top Go down
bd863
Giant Scrub
bd863

Restart? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Restart?   Restart? EmptyWed Jul 23, 2014 12:31 pm

It's funny that you guy's mentioned this because Munroe and I have sorta found a replacement for Olden the sad part is it's sort of a circle jerk and the town is a linch mob on edge but other than that it's pretty nice and has a steady playerbase

I also agree that I don't think we could get olden rp going again since the storyline is basically set in stone and we sort of had to close out new players at the end which really sucked but it is what it was and atleast for the time I was in it I enjoyed it

Example:
Restart? 1024x576

So yeah if anything does come up please keep me updated.
Back to top Go down
Rutabega
Administrator
Rutabega

Restart? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Restart?   Restart? EmptyFri Jul 25, 2014 8:04 pm

We were thinking about some iteration/setting of Olden, set about several hundred years in future in some yet to be named big port city. Think Victorian era where everything is powered by big electrical powerstations that are in turn powered by magic. The setting would probably be in some hl2 city map, or some sort of urban fare that would would somewhat resemble something like Dunwall from Dishonoured. Mind this was all just fanciful brainstorming for nifty ideas; but I digress.

At the end of the day though like Dom said it takes a lot of time, resources and attention to run a community and let's face it, none of us are getting any younger and with our older age comes the added responsibilities of work, post secondary school, significant others, a more extroverted social life and all the rest. It was a lot easier when we were a bunch of teenagers without all the bullshit that comes with being adults.

In regards to lore things, it depends on what you're looking for. I personally like the fact that dver (dwarves) are these lanky guys that stick metal on their faces for fun. A lot of what I always enjoyed about Olden was the fact that it wasn't just another dime a dozen high fantasy world with a bunch of people in it who didn't actually want to think or put any sort of deep creative investment into it. I mean I can see the appeal of just going in to do that, it's not uncommon for me to do some roleplaying on a Mount & Blade server (which at times is REALLY hit or miss for any good rp, let me tell you). Ultimately though that's not what Olden was ever about for any of us that created it or shaped it over the years, it's about something more than just getting people on the server for the sake of being able to roleplay.

In regards to what you said, about making it more classic lore, I can see where Pat would get offended, because to me I hear something on the lines of "Let's take this elaborate, in depth world that we've made our own over the course of seven years and just completely ruin it by slapping a bunch of generic, no effort dribble to appeal to other people". I know the way you guys see Olden is probably a lot different than me, Pat and others that were there from the start, I mean Olden started in 2008 when we were fourteen years old, we're now twenty-one; that's a pretty good fucking life for one community. There's more that I could probably say but as it stands I doubt I could say it properly so I'll just hold off for now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Restart? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Restart?   Restart? Empty

Back to top Go down

Restart?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General Boards :: General Chat-
Jump to: